Chapter 16

Holed up in my office with Marty, Sam, and Logan I stared out at the back yard. This seems to be my new spot. When I need to think I stand and stare out this door. The scene changes with the season but always comes back to this, dying leaves waiting to be raked up, the ground waiting to be covered in snow.

Standing in the room I’m in, how can I even contemplate letting my wife walk right into a fight like this? My mother died only a few feet from where I stand. She died trying to save others but she is still gone. I am now the end of my line. I need Taylor safe. There is no way I can stay sane without her. Her death would be the one to send me straight to the over the edge.

How can I deny her though? She is so strong. Stronger than I ever thought she could be. She may be a bear shifter but she would still need to work extremely hard to get into the shape she is in, which is perfect. Every inch of her body is sculpted with pure elegant muscle. After all of her hard work how can I deny her?

Pure selfishness is the why. She wants her chance to help, her chance to save someone like she was saved back in Louisiana.

“You know I am more likely to die than she is right?” Sam said. “She can kick my ass with her eyes closed.”

“Yeah she could.” Marty replied.

“She can kick your ass too.” Sam pointed out.

Turning around I looked at them all. “She can kick all of your asses. Come let’s tell everyone whose going.”

Stepping out on to the deck I see everyone gathered around waiting to hear who will go. Taylor is down with everyone else with a blank expression. I know taking her is the right thing to do not just for her but for everyone involved including those we are going to save.

“The following are the ones chosen to come to Louisiana. Logan, Sam, Andrew,” and the list went on. In total I said fourteen names. After the last name was called I looked at Taylor. “Lastly Taylor. If you get hurt or God forbid killed I will never forgive myself. Keep that in mind.” I pointed at me as I spoke. I wanted to make sure she knew I was very serious.

“I will not be the one hurting they will be.” She spoke with complete seriousness looking me straight in the eye.

“Well then let’s get packing. We leave tomorrow morning.” With that I turned around and headed back into the house to get ready to leave.

In total 50 of us were outside the gates of a warehouse in none other than New Orleans. The plan is to attack from all sides and push everyone to the center of the building. From there get into their records and find the women and cubs that stashed all over the world.

Tank motioned for everyone it was time to move. Following behind Otto we made our way to the side door we are entering from. With a swift kick from Tank we were inside and firing. One, two, three, they went down. As we slowing pushed them back until we were inside. We were outnumbered but we kept pushing them back until they started advancing on us.

They were abandoning their guns and running towards us. We took most out but some made it to us and we fought them hand to hand.

Before we knew it we were all the way and in and came face to face with the reason they started running towards us. There had to be fifty grown Teleios shifters standing in a room facing each other unmoving.

“Um guys? You’re free.” They turned to look at me in unison. “Ok that was freaky.” I looked at Otto as he chuckled.

“Come on we should find Tank to see what he has found so far.” Some of my group stayed with the group we found to help get them out of there and Sam, Otto and I went to find Tank.

“Hopefully there is a computer I can get into and find the rest of the shifters.” Sam said checking each door we passed.

He hit pay dirt before we found Tank. “You see what you can find while we find Tank.”

Making our way through the maze of this warehouse was easier said than done. We checked each door we went passed and almost every door had women or cubs inside. Finally on the other side of the building we found Tank.

“We estimate most of the shifters were here. They had brought them all together in some last ditch effort to get them to work for them.” He pulled out a vile of green liquid. “They were trying to use a mind control drug on them but it just wouldn’t work.”

I young man of about 17 came over. “This is Caeye.  He is one of the oldest Teleios shifters left. Usually they kill them at 18 when they wouldn’t bend to their will.”

Just then Otto’s phone rang. When he checked the screen he saw it was Sam. “Shoot.” I bunch of nodding and then a smile.

“There is only a handful of what they called safe houses with anyone there, mostly here in the US but one in Europe.” Otto hugged me.

“That means it’s over. We did get the ring leader right?” I looked to Tank for confirmation.

“Yes we did.” He smiled while looking at Caeye.

“So you must have had a hand in it huh?” I asked Caeye.

“Yes he was going to hurt a young one.” He said is his surprisingly deep voice for his age.

“Well I glad you were there to help.” I said putting my hand on his shoulder.

As soon as my hand touched his skin he looked at me. Straight in the eye like was looking at my soul. “There will more young ones for you do not worry.”

Grinning from ear to ear I looked at Otto. “How did he know I was worried at all?”

“One of my gifts.” He bowed his head. I was getting a Chinese monk vibe from him.

“Now can we go home and stay there?” I looked to Otto. “Also build another house or two?”

“For what?” Otto asked.

“For all the people that will be coming to live with us. These people are going to need a place to stay.” I said gesturing behind me to all the doors we passed.

“Well we won’t be bored.” He answered smiling down at me.

Tucked in under his arm I knew from then on we were safe as were the half shifter women and the cubs that had been through so much.