11; Not Today

Kat laughs to herself, a whole day has gone by and Jake hasn't called or anything. She kind of figured he's not the committed type but a part of her held out hope. A gentle knock on her door interrupts her thoughts and she looks towards it and laughs.

"I wasn't expecting you to show up"she says and Kieran shrugs.

"That little chat we had earlier wasn't over"he says as he takes a seat in her swivel chair and grabs her blue fluffy pen and starts to play with it.

"Your mom let me in, she seems nice but disappointed?"he questions the last part and she rolls her eyes as she climbs out of bed.

"She was probably hoping it was Jake"Kat says as she enters her closet and closes the door. She strips out of her pjs and slips into a white and pink floral print mini dress.

"Going somewhere?"Kieran asks and she smirks.

"I didn't kill Nina, I can promise you that. She hurt me and tormented me . Yes there were times where I thought killing her or at least her demise would be the solution to everything but I would never, I didn't. Nina was manipulative and conceded but I would never wish death upon her but I can rest easy knowing she's dead"Kat admits as she slips into some heels and sits on the edge of her bed to face him.

"My dad's looking into you. I came to tell you this not because of our deal but because I feel sorry for you"he says and she laughs humorlessly.

"Kieran, I don't want nor do I need your pity"she says and he shakes his head.

"Thing could get ugly, you don't understand that. My dad already knows some of your secrets, secrets that I know Brooke, Jake and everyone else in the school are oblivious to. Whether you're innocent or not doesn't matter anymore, you had the most to gain from killing Nina. They'll attack you until you confess, they can make your life a living hell. They'll expose you"he says sympathetically and she reaches for his hand and places hers on top of his in strictly friendly way.

"I'm tougher than I look. If it comes down to it, I'll find Nina's killer myself which is ironic, me searching for my tormentors killer. Now would you care to join me on an afternoon stroll?"she questions and he nods as he gets up.

"So what's with the whole bad boy act?"she questions as they walk out of her house and into the chilly streets.

"It's not an act and I have some questions"he says as a few cars pass by.

"Go"Kat says as she ties her curls into a ponytail.

"What happened to you in that mental facility? What happened to you that whole year you were away?"he questions and she takes a deep breath.

"I was unresponsive in the beginning, I was in my own world. Nothing outside of my head registered, I could hear and see but it didn't register to me, I didn't comprehend. Nina's terror was one of many factors but it was a major one. I used to be full of light but that doesn't mean I was never sad, something always felt in-completed about me and things went down hill with Nina. I don't know what I did to her that made me her favorite target but she constantly tormented me and her friends would join in too" she says staring at the ground.

"It's over now, she's dead. And I can't say I know what you went through but holding on to what she did is hurting you. Move on, Kat. I know it hurts but don't let her ruin the rest of your school year, the rest of your life. She's nothing but a memory now"he says as they stop and she nods.

She knows he's right but as long as Nina's killer is on the lose, this will never be over.

-

-

-

She never realized how lonely she was until now, huddled in bed and watching a movie on her laptop. Something she does every night now.

"Sometimes I wonder, what happened to the sweet little girl who used to be so excited to take on the world" her mother says from the bedroom door making Kat sit up.

"She grew up, reality hit her and here she is all alone".

"What happened to Jake?" her mother asks and Kat groans.

"He turned out to be like everyone else"she says with a pout as she stares down. Her mother gives a sympathetic expression as she takes a seat at the foot of the bed.

"I don't fit in here. No matter what I do, the don't accept me. They don't trust me and they don't want me, nobody does. I try so hard sometimes and it's still never good enough. I just want to catch a break, to be normal, to be happy but that's never going to happen. I think I've beat Nina for the rank of most hated girl here" she laughs to herself as a few tears roll down her cheeks and her mom lays beside her and holds her in her arms as she cries in her moms arms.

"And Jake, I liked him for such a long time. Then I came back and he seemed to take interest and it started like a game of cat and mouse between us. I thought I was the cat but I was the mouse all along. I can't help but wonder why was I saved if this is the life I was meant to return to".

"It's going to get easier. Life is what you make it and the Katherine I once knew, was ready for the challenges life had waiting for her with a bright smile and a pair of the worlds most hideous yellow glitter tights" her mom says making the two laugh.

"I guess you're right but the one thing stopping everything from moving forward is Nina's death. Her killer is still out there".

AN: Thank ya'll so much for 1k votes ily all!