Chapter Ten

Evan

"Phew, the Starbucks in the middle of the Toronto mall. Wait no... street. Fuck maybe I should call Mom." I said as the clock hit 4:00. I had to cover up my mark with that makeup stuff and grab a jacket. I hesitated at Jon's blue hoodie in the closet. I grabbed it and threw it on over my Super Mario Bros t-shirt.  

I was glad to see my 1995 red Ford Mustang in the parking lot. I hopped in and pulled out of the parking lot to hopefully find the right Starbucks, because ya know, white girls need their coffee. I stopped to look in one of the little Starbucks down the road. A woman with long black hair was sitting at the a counter near the window sipping a coffee. I pulled into a parking spot quick and ran into the place. "Mom!" I yelled as I wrapped my arms around her. Her embrace felt so good my eyes started watering. "How are you Evan?" Mom asked. "I... I don't know. I just wanna explain thi-" "Wait! Did your mark change?!" She asked as she rubbed her hand on my forehead. "Yes it did. I have an affinity for all elements." "Woah, thats... amazing. When do you find that out." I paused and though. Should I tell her about Jon? "Right after Jon died in my arms..." Her jaw dropped and she instantly put her arms around me. "Mom?" I called as I stared out the window. "Yes honey?" "Do you mind homosexuality?" Mom pulled away and looked at me. "No, of course I don't honey. Why?" "I think... I had a feeling for Jon." I said. As I said Jon's name my voice cracked. 

My mom and I kept talking. I told her how wonderful the House of Night is and how the vampyres and fledglings are nice. I then started talking about how amazing Jon was and how sweet he was. "I would have loved to met him Evan. You two were perfect for each other. Maybe even for a consort." "But Mom, only High Priestesses can have a consort." I shook my head and laughed. "First of all, I'm not a lady so I can't be a Priestess and second of all Jon might have never felt the same..." I frowned and my mom squeezed my shoulders. "Oh, Evan, its alright. Maybe you should go to Grandma and talk to her about the loss of a loved one. She can help you through the loss." I smiled. "Yes, I'd love to see Grandma." As I said that the clock struck 3:34 A.M. "Oh sweetie you better get back to school so you don't loose any sleep and the sun bothers you guys doesn't it?" I nodded. "Yeah." My mom got up and wrapped her arms around me. "I really missed you Evan." She mumbled into my chest. She was shorter than me and I could put my head on her's. "I missed you too Mom." I started towards the door. "I love you Evan!" "I love you too Mom!" 

As I walked down the sidewalk I heard crunching noises. "What the?" I was getting pretty close to an alley way. I heard a small yelp and I started running. Shit, was it in the alley? I ran and stopped at the alley way. A saw a figure eating another figure. "Hey! What the hell are you doing?" The hooded figure only hissed. I could tell it was a man, and his eyes were red. A scarlet red. The person they were eating started screaming. "Fucking stop!" I shouted and started running after the creature. "This can't be a vampyre or fledgling from the House of Night." I mumbled as I ran. "Stop!" I shouted as the man kept running down the alley. He took a left and ran down the sidewalk. I started sprinting as we reached a small park. We ran through the dark park. Only small streetlights lighting the walk ways. 

We both kept running. I was slowly getting closer and closer to this man, creature, whatever the fuck it was. "Hey! Stop please! I wanna talk to you!" I swear I heard him hiss again. He then took a right out of the park. He led me to a 'under construction' building. "Shit." I mumbled. He ran down into the basement of the building. I then noticed the building. It was an old Game Stop being renewed. Well it was going to. He ran through the basement to a dirt tunnel. I then had to stop him somehow. The elements! "Air! Stop him!" I yelled and hurled my hands forward. I felt the breeze come past me, along with Lui's giggles. The smell of clean laundry filled the basement. The man was tackled down by nothing but air. He kept hissing, his red eyes shinning from under his dark hood. 

I walked over to the figure on the ground. As I reached him a terrible smell hit me. It was blood but it smelled rotten. The blood smelled like someone took a shit on a lavender field. "Why are you eating people?" I asked and held my nose. "I'm hungry jackass." The voice sounded familiar but hoarse. "What are you?" I got closer. "I'm a monster you don't wanna fuck withhhhh." He slurred. "Are you wasted?" I asked stupidly. "Yeah! Our kind gets wasted over blood. Not that alcohol shit." "Well so do my kind." Then he laughed. His laugh. I've heard it many times before he died in my arms. I ran over to him and ripped off the hood. I nearly cried when I saw who it was. I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed. He didn't squeeze back. Instead he pushed me away and ran. I didn't even think, I just ran with him. After him. For him. 

**********************