Chapter 16

I AM SOOOO SORRYYYYY. I started to write this chapter a long time ago, I kinda forgot this existed tbh. My exams didn't go so great but they are over now and I'm trying to ignore that they ever happened.

I'm taking advanced higher english now, which is quite scary but really fun. I've looked back over the previous chapters of this story and my other stories and they make me cringe but you guys seem to like them so I'm not gonna delete them.

Enjoy this long awaited chapter :)

***

I looked into my distorted reflection in the back of my spoon. Tommy and I were sitting on the sofa, he had fallen asleep quickly after eating the ready meal I 'cooked' for him in the microwave.

My face was purple down one side, my right eye was black and there was a cut on my forehead where Tommy's ring had hit.

A tear fell down my cheek as I looked over to the sofa, Tommy was snoring loudly. I dropped my spoon and flinched as it clattered on the hardwood floor. Tommy didn't stir and I realised he was sound asleep and couldn't hear me.

I tiptoed towards the door, grabbed Tommy's keys and left. I didn't have a set because Tommy didn't like me leaving the house on my own. The four rooms in our flat became my prison, and Tommy became my captor.

Sighing as I thought of the mess I was in I walked down the road, not sure where I was going, I just knew I had to get away for a while.

I walked down a road that took me to the sea front. I giggled a little and ran towards the sea, down the beach. I held my arms out and breathed in the sea air, glad to finally be outside, although it was freezing cold and sand had already wormed it's way into my shoes.

I sat down on the beach, taking off my beat up converse and shaking the sand out of them. I watched the sunset and let my mind wander. I thought of all the things that I wanted to do not so long ago. I wanted to be an actress, a dancer, a teacher, something worthwhile. But now I was sitting in the house all day, never doing anything.

"I need to stand up to him." I whispered to myself. "I want to make a life for myself, he'll understand that."

I stood up, put on my sand filled shoes and started to walk home. I had a smile on my face for the first time in weeks.

There was a small terrified part of my mind that made me want to run home as fast as I could and pretend I had never left, but I now had a taste of freedom and I felt happy, walking down the beach with no hand firmly gripping my wrist. I couldn't live the rest of my life in the dank and dismal flat, I needed to go home. I wondered what would happen if I went crawling back. My heart broke as I remembered my parents, they shouldn't have treated me the way they did but I know that they were just protecting me.

Lost in my thoughts I ended up tripping over something on the pavement. I swore and looked down at the plant pot that I had knocked over. My eyes filled with tears as I remembered how my mum used to love gardening and when I was little she would teach me how to tend to the garden. She told me she found joy in growing and nurturing things. I wiped my eyes and placed the pot back where it sat outside someone's driveway. I hurried home, looking where I was going this time, and vowing to myself that I would confront Tommy. And to stop being so damn emotional about plant pots.