Twenty-Nine: April Fool's Day, Part Two

I turn the keys and finally enter my house. I feel safe for about two seconds after dropping the box on the floor until I hear a can open.

My heart stops. Layla isn't even home.. What the hell is here? Wells? No wait, he wouldn't be drinking Pepsi in my house. "Who's there?"

"Sister!" the intruder says.

"Oh, crap," I say out loud. "Bruce, I didn't give you a key."

"Well Evelina," he calls me by an old nickname in his fake Hispanic accent, "Your hot roomie let me in. Said I was your 'second surprise.' Happy birthday, lil sis."

"Here to celebrate your moving out day, too?"

"You're not still mad about that, are you? I mean, that was like, four or five years ago."

"No, I'm not mad about that. I just feel sorry for your girlfriend. She has to put up with someone like you everyday."

"Yeah, well she dumped me," he sighs. "She said she deserved someone actually worth her money." He runs a hand through his hair. Maybe the color is the only thing we have in common.

"So she does have a brain?" I fake-gasp. "Good for her."

"Shut up, sis. I'm hurt. At least I have a decent job that pays the bills and covers a nice apartment."

"I quit my job," I mutter.

"You what? Why? It paid so well!" he cries out.

"You wouldn't understand."

"I'm worried, okay?"

"That's a first."

"What is your problem with me? I used my ex's money to visit therapist that helped control my anger. That asshole you used to know since we were little kids? Gone."

"You did?"

"Yeah. I don't want to hurt anyone else, physically or emotionally."

"Don't forget mentally," I add.

He shrugs. "Yeah, that too." He dumps his backpack on the table and reaches for a small box. "Happy birthday, sis."

"Thanks." I take the box gingerly.

He drinks a little from his Pepsi before setting it down. "Wanna catch up? I missed five years with you."

"Eh. Why not?"

I sit on the chair next to him and begin explaining how I got my job and all the drama going on in Central City.

"Mason Bridge, famed reporter you worked with- he died?"

"Well, he disappeared. Police claims he just went to hike Machu Picchu with a girl he met or something. I can't remember. But a few people know the truth." Of course I left out some parts.

"Wow. I mean, just wow. I can't believe this."

"Me neither," I manage to say.

"Okay, then you quit after, right?"

"Yeah, I did. So there's this superhero named the Flash and he saves-"

"So is there anyone special in your life right now?"

I flinch at his interruption but answer the question. "No, sadly. I mean- there was this one guy I met sometime late November or early December. I can't remember the exact date. He was a forensic scientist or something, and he was the sweetest guy I met. Then he showed his true colors and I told him I needed some time to myself."