Thirty-Three: Smoak and Fire

I recovered fully within a week. It seemed that I didn't need the trimethylene-32 to counteract the antidote. My body was able to get rid of the toxicity level of the synthesized antidote so that it wouldn't hurt me any longer. I guess the healing thing works with that kind of "injury" as well.

Dr. Wells didn't define me as a metahuman when we met in the room yesterday, he just called it an abnormality as a possible result of supernatural (cue the theme!) factors. Nothing's for sure, however.

Bruce is still in the cot, waiting for his injuries to heal. I gave him a sleeping pill instead of the usual pain medication, so he's out cold now.

I have a couple minutes to spare before Barry speeds back from his run (okay, it's not a run, it's just a few bank robberies, no biggie) so I wait with Bruce, checking my phone every so often.

Hm. I didn't really know dates could start from 9 PM. Then again I didn't have much dating experience besides the usual blind dates Layla had set up. I have no clue where Barry's taking me.

"Evelyn. We have a few matter to discuss while Cisco and Caitlin are gone for the night," Wells announces from the doorway then rolls away.

"Um, okay?" I follow him back to the Cortex where he stands and walks around. "What's this about?"

"Your usefulness in my crew. I asked that you create obstacles so that Barry's speed can improve. However, you've failed to deliver consistently for the last few weeks."

"I forgot," I mumble.

"You don't forget a once in a lifetime proposition like mine, Evelyn, you don't forget why you are still alive!" he hisses at me, then leaning so close in I become cross-eyed.

"If Barry found out I was working with you, he would kill both of us in a heartbeat," I say.

"No. He would relent when it came to you, but don't guarantee that sympathy will last. Soon you'll be thrown out the door with no purpose! I am keeping you here, alive, so you could serve. me." The fire in his eyes scares the living crap out of me.

"You said you would work on the permanent neutralizing serum embedded within Carnie, you promised me!"

"Yes, but you gave me nothing, so I give you nothing!"

"Wells, I will help you, I promise. But how can I do that knowing that at any moment I could break Barry's trust?"

"Use your imagination," he seethes. "I can't do your job for you. I assigned it to you. I have people across hundreds of generations far into the future that know you now. You made a name for yourself by making the Flash fall for you while still being tied to me."

"Then I guess I am doing my job by making it so."

He finally leans back, giving me room to breathe. "Don't forget why you're still here, or next time I will show you no mercy."

"You will. Because you need me," I say before I have the chance to bite my lip. Curse my impulsive tongue...

"You will make him run faster. I know you will." He swallows hard and sits back down right as I hear the elevator ding.

"EVIE! I'm so happy to see you!" Barry runs (slowly) over and crushes me in a giant hug. I see wells rolling away down the hall, he casts me a death stare then is off on his way.

"Hi, Barry."

"What did Wells say?" he says with a look of concern.

"Not much, just discussing regulations," I answer, waving off his question.