Chapter 8

Harry's POV

I sprinted into the tower with my wand out in front of me and saw something that made my blood run cold. Malfoy was standing in a window frame, his arms stretched out either side of him like wings. I began to rush towards him but something happened that I would never forget...

He jumped.

Adrenaline rushed through me as I remembered a spell that Hermione used all those years ago to freeze some pixies in mid-air. Slashing my wand through the air, I yelled "IMOBULUS!" Watching as the falling body of Draco Malfoy froze just within my reach. I rushed over to the ledge and dragged the frozen body inside, placing it against a wall and then muttering "finite incantatem" and watching as my sworn enemy collapsed against the wall and began crying uncontrollably looking at me with fear in his eyes.

Draco's POV

I looked up at the person that had frozen me and broke down in fear. The messy black haired boy that unknowingly put me through so much pain, was now kneeling in front of me with concern etched upon every aspect of his face. He began to reach out his hand towards me but, just before his slender fingers could touch my shoulder, I flinched away yelling "stay back! Stay away from me!" His hand shot back as though he had been burnt and he looked at me with confusion evident in his emerald green eyes. "Malfoy, what's wrong with you?" He asked "Nothing, everything! No! I'm fine just leave Please!"

"Malfoy, someone whose fine does not throw themselves off of an astronomy tower," he said sternly before sighing. "Look, I know we aren't exactly friends but, it looks like you could really use a shoulder to cry on right now and I would like to be that person. I don't know what's changed for you this year but you look terrible. I haven't seen you eat once and you look like you haven't had an undisturbed sleep for God knows how long. Your boggart was different to everyone else's and you just broke down in front of your sworn enemy. So please, let me put aside this rivalry and help you!" He began to reach out his hand again but, before he could touch me, I was back in the Slytherin dormitories with Potter standing at the foot of my bed casting the cruciatus curse on me and smirking evilly.

"Don't hurt me again" I whispered brokenly at the real boy in front of me. He just looked at me perplexed. "Again? Malfoy I don't want to hurt you. I won't ever hurt you, I promise."

"BUT I'LL HURT YOU!!" I screamed "I-I'll hurt y-you.  I-I,y-you, They'll make m-me. Your n-not safe around m-me!" "They?" Potter asked. "Malfoy who are 'they'?"

Suddenly I leaped up, charging towards the window. Only to be held back by two strong arms "JUST LET ME DIE" I yelled through my tears at Potter as he pulled me back against the wall. In the process, however, my robes were pulled off and I heard Potter give an audible gasp as he stepped back. I looked down. Great, I'm wearing a short-sleeved shirt. "Oh my God Malfoy, what is that?" I whimpered weakly, trying to pull my robes back up and hide the gashes and scars across my skin but, before I could, Potter grabbed my wrist tightly causing me to howl in at the combined pain of the  pressure he was putting on my gashes and the unbearable black fog that swamped me as I was touched by him.

"Jesus! Oh God, I'm so sorry Malfoy!" Potter let go once again, standing in front of me still so I couldn't get back to the window and letting me calm down for a bit before speaking again. "Malfoy, I don't know what is going on inside your head right now but please let me help you. Please let me be the friend that you need. I hesitated, looking into the eyes that had haunted my nightmares for so long, and then something clicked. 'This wasn't the Potter that had tortured me into unconsciousness, nor was it the Potter that my father had blamed for everything for so long. No this was the real Potter, standing in front of me, wanting to help, and I need to let him.' I took a deep breath, looking into the boys green orbs and nodded slightly, hugging my knees to my chest and wrapping my now revealed arms around them. Potter finally relaxed slightly and spoke softly to me "okay thank you Draco."