[ 27 ]

maybe christmas is something more that a celebration that uses the ideals of family relations to further consumerism's grip on the world. maybe.

abby: such a thrilling battle of mario kart, that was. i let you win.

abby: i'm gonna be subtle now. what'd you get me?

abby: it better not be a dog. my roommate will stab me. 

me: why are you under the impression that i've gotten you anything?

abby: dude. 

me: dude.

abby: you definitely know that i've gotten you something. and if i know anything about you, it's that you'd loathe to be indebted to me. even though that's not the point of christmas. 

abby: secular holidays are tricky like that, i guess.

me: you've thought this through.

abby: of course. you're my friend, and if we're going to continue on like this, i need to make sure you're not shit at giving presents. or that if you are, i can change you.

me: well, i'm glad you'd try to change me instead of leaving me. but, i suppose that's christmas.

abby: exactly. now, what'd you get me?

me: not a dog, obviously.

abby: i'm getting excited!

me: please stop jumping on the couch. couches are for sitting. it's not even midnight yet.

abby: can we interpret this secular holiday in a way that let's me open my present now?

me: dude.

abby: dude.

me: fine.