Chapter 14

Finnick

"Finnick!" I hear someone call. It's not Annie, who is standing right beside me. I turn around, but at first I don't see anyone. Then, I see three red dots in the distance.

"Finnick! Katniss!"

"Peeta!"

"Finnick! Annie!"

It turns out, the three dots are people. Johanna, Wiress, and Beetee, to be exact.

I let go of Annie's hand and run to them. Then, I get close enough to see why they're all red. They're covered in blood.

The realization hits me and I turn around fast, but it's too late. She saw them. She's Gone.

"You can handle them?" I ask Peeta. He nods and I head back to the water and to Annie.

She's got that faraway look in her eyes that she gets when her brain decides it's too much and it takes her away.

"Annie? Annie, come back. Everything's safe. You don't need to Go." I try.

Her eyes become more focused and pride swells in my chest. She's getting better at Coming Back. She's getting stronger.

"The- the blood..." she mutters.

"It's not theirs. Now, I don't want you to break down. Do you think you can see them again? Could you stand it?" She looks at me dead in the eyes and nods firmly.

I take her hand and lead her to Johanna and Beetee. Katniss seems to be washing Wiress in the water. Wiress has the Look. Her eyes look like Annie's. She's in her own world, swimming in her past. I wonder who she is seeing. I wonder I they're still alive.

"What happened to you?" Johanna asks, mockingly.

"Nothing. She's fine." I tell her, gritting my teeth. Annie has gone extremely pale. She is looking at the blood that covers Johanna.

"I asked her." She says. Anger boils inside me. Why does she have to make fun of her?! Why do people have to hurt her?! Can't they see she's been hurt enough?!

Annie backs up slowly.

"N. I was wrong; I can't see it. I'm going to break." She whispers. She turns and walks to the beach. She's not screaming, but her shoulders are shaking.

She sits down at the edge of the water and hugs her knees. I'm close enough to see her little body shake with sobs.

I run to her, shooting one more dirty look at Johanna before leaving. She actually looks ashamed. And she should be.

I sit down beside her and put one arm around her shoulders, but I don't say anything. There is nothing to be said.

"So much blood..."

"I know, Annie. I know."

"Like the blood on Carolina and Tyson and Johnathan..." She says, her voice cracking.

I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Can I try?" Asks Wiress.

"Is that ok?" I ask Annie.

"Yes," she whispers.

I reluctantly let go of Annie and walk back up the beach to the rest of the team.

"Finnick! We found out the Arena is a clock!" Peeta tells me excitedly. "Wiress figured it out!" I smiled.

"This means we won't be in much danger when it comes to the Gamemakers' scheduled traps." Beetee added.