Chapter 25

Annie

One and a half weeks later...

Finnick had been acting strange for a while now, I realize. How could I have been so stupid as to ignore that!

A couple of days after our wedding, Finnick had started to act weird. He seemed happy, sure, happier than I'd ever seen him. But he seemed sad as well. I thought it was because of the fact that people were being sent off to war, now. Whenever he thought I was looking, every time he acted sad, he would smile, as if to tell me he's alright. But I didn't buy it. I also started to notice that he was becoming very clingy. I thought that obviously had to do with the fact that I was pregnant.

I now realize I could have talked to him. I could have told him he was being stupid.

Now, all I can do is sit in our room and cry.

I remember the fear. I remember waking up screaming. I remember searching for him in our bed in the dark. I remember turning on the lights and realizing he wasn't there.

I had run to Heavensbee immediately, demanding to know where Finnick had gone. Plutarch could only look sad as he answered: "He's in the Capitol."

I had run off to our room as quickly as possible, my knees giving out as soon as I closed the door.

Finnick is gone. I think.

I notice then a small piece of paper on a chair next to the door. I know it wasn't there last night. I open it eagerly, hoping there to be some sort of explanation. My eyes read through the entire letter twice, tears welling up.

Dear Wife,

I'm sorry. I'm truly, deeply sorry.

I know you didn't want me to go fight the rebellion. I know you didn't think it was worth it. You thought me dying for the war wouldn't help. This is one of the things I disagree with you in.

I think I'd rather die fighting, having you and the baby safe and free for the rest of your lives than keep living, imprisoned and sold, having him grow up thinking his father is a coward.

Don't worry, it won't come to that.

I intend to be there when he takes his first steps. I want to see him talk for the first time. And I wish to have more children.

Don't worry, my love. I'll come back.

I've never lied to you. I've always kept my promises.

And, Annie, I promise you, I will come back alive, whatever it takes.

Just then, for the first time in weeks, the cold feeling washes over me and I Leave.

"Where's Finnick?" I ask. I don't really understand why I'm worried, though.

"Relax, he just went down to the market!" Cora answers.

"Why did he leave?" I ask, not knowing why my cheeks are wet.

"Jeez, Shell! You're acting like he's off to war or something!" She jokes. Her face darkens almost instantly, though. "Annie? Why are you crying?"

I don't get the benefit of staying for long, though. Soon, there is a knock at the door. I stand up and open it, surprised to see Haymitch standing there.

"Annie, come see this." I follow him into the hallway and down to the propo room, where a large holo-tv is situated. "Coin didn't want to show you this but we insisted. You're his wife. You should know." I look up at the screen, at first not knowing what is going on. I see a face, I think Cressida's. The image changes and I see Katniss. The image changes and I see Peeta. The image changes and I see Finnick.