Chapter 23

Annie

Two weeks later...

It's five days to our wedding day, and I've been granted the unique opportunity to exit the District. Katniss wanted to go to her house in 12, and I needed a new wedding dress. As a result, Katniss and I are currently on a hovercraft on our way to District 12, where she will give me one of her fantastic dresses from her Victory tour. Of course, I have plenty of those myself, but District 4 is too close to the Capitol and we can't risk it, so I have to settle with her second-hand garments.

I am too excited about the wedding to worry about it, though. Soon, I would marry Finnick! Soon, we would be husband and wife! And this time there would be no one around to stop us from being happy.

"We're here." The District 12 escort, Effie, says. She is close to Katniss and decided to tag along, no matter the risk. Impressive for a Capitol citizen.

Katniss hadn't talked for the entire ride, instead using her time to study me. She would look me over, the gears turning in her mind, possibly wondering how Finnick Odair could have fallen in love with mad, little Annie Cresta. And I couldn't care less.

"My house is only a short walk from here." Katniss says. Her voice sound sore, as expected, since she was just choked by Peeta. Apparently, the measures used against us in the Capitol had taken their toll on him. The mere thought of the Capitol sends shivers down my spine.

The Victor's Village in 12 isn't as beautiful or grand as the one in 4. The houses are dark and they are not made of the same material. While my house is made of glistening quartz, these houses have stone walls. I find that I don't really mind.

Ever since I was a little girl I had dreamed of my wedding. I imagined it would be to some handsome sailor or fisherman. I would get married in the beach, wearing a beautiful white gown that I knew we couldn't afford. And my whole family would be there, even, in a magical way, my Mum. But I will not marry a sailor. And I will not marry in the beach. And I will not wear a beautiful white gown. And my family will not be there.

I feel the familiar pang in my chest that accompanies any thoughts related to my family. Before I have the chance to cry; though, we enter the house.

Katniss walks around, taking a look at her home. The nostalgia in her eyes is almost tangible, even though she has only lived here a year. She takes Effie, my prep team, and I to her room, where she kept all her dresses. She opens her closet and, sure enough, it's full of gowns of endless colors. Her stylist must have liked her; Louis never let me keep my clothes.

"Which one would you like to try on first?" Katniss asks with no enthusiasm. You know, Katniss, this is a special day for me, and if you're going to ruin it by being pessimistic, I'd rather not have come! That is my immediate thought after seeing her roll her eyes. This is my wedding. It's a big deal to me.

Effie walks past me, ignoring Katniss. She takes out a dress from the wardrobe; a yellow dress with a tight top and flowing arms and skirt and a pattern of tiny pink flowers. After putting it on in the bathroom, I walk out, showing them the dress.

"Well, give me a twirl!" Effie tells me. "No, no, no... This one makes your eyes go yellow." I don't quit know what she meant, but I'm happy to try on another dress. This time it is a gorgeous pink gown with a small bodice and short flowy sleeves. The skirt is strange; bird-like, almost. It's made of hundreds of little pieces of pink transparent cloth, placed on top of each other to create the most beautiful effect.

"Nope. Too pink." Katniss says. I'm almost yelling at her to shut up when Effie agrees.

"True. It would take the attention off her gorgeous eyes." I smile at the compliment, thankful to have her here.

This goes on for hours. I try on a dress, they say no, I try on another one, they say no...

Finally, Effie takes out a green dress. It's very simple, but I'm instantly in love with it. The bodice is tight, but it's not intoxicating, hugging my small features as to show them off, yet no being so tight that you can see what I lack. The sleeves are short and made of a lighter, almost transparent fabric that seems to also make up the skirt. The skirt; however, has multiple layers and is far from see-through, yet it is light and flowing like the waves. There is a small string with a pretty bow lining my waist and dark green shoes to match.

"Yes!" Effie and Katniss exclaim at the same time. Effie looks at me from all sides, her eyes wide.

"Yes! This is perfect! It even brings out your eyes!" She tells me.

"Hold on, I have just the thing!" Katniss says, walking out of the room. She has been getting nicer as the hours pass. Hopefully she realized that there is no other way to spend her time here.

Soon, she comes back with something in her hand. It's a shell, I realize. She puts it on my hair, clipping back some stands to expose my face.

"That's it!" Effie takes my arm, leading me to a mirror. I gasp when I see myself. My eyes are my most prominent feature, but my hair stands out, as well as the few curves on my body; somehow hiding my pregnant belly. This is it, I realize. This is what I'm getting married in.

The ride back to 13 was silent and uneventful, and yet, as I lie in my bed, I can't help feeling exhausted. So tired, in fact, that I don't notice the cold feeling that washes over me, bringing me under like a wave.

"I'm so excited! I can't wait to be your maid of honor!" Cora says, circling me, taking a good look at my wedding dress. "My sister is getting married to Finnick Odair! I can't believe it! I'm going to be his sister-in-law! Finnick Odair's sister in law!"

"Yes, yes... You're going to be Finnick's sister in law. But guess what: I'm going to be his wife!" I stick my tongue out at her like I used to when we were little.

"Well, guess what?! I'm married to Stephen Orion! Beat that!" She says, laughing. Her smile soon turns into a frown, though. "Annie? Why are you crying?"

"I'm not-" I start, but I realize it's true. I'm crying. There's something very wrong here.

I wake up alone in my room, my eyes wet. I know what's wrong. It's you. Cora will not be my maid of honor. Little Arnav will not wait for me on the first row of seats, to wave and blow me kisses. My Father will not walk me down the aisle. Not even Mags will be there.

I start to cry harder, thankful that there's nobody here to see me. Cora didn't get married. The realization stuck me like a pang in my chest. Arnav will never get married, either.

All I can think about is: It's not fair. They deserve love and a long life. I don't. I killed people. I deserve worse than a loving husband, a beautiful dress, and a wedding. Cora deserves to wear a beautiful white dress. She deserves a ring. She deserves Stephen. She deserves happiness. I don't. Cora never did anything wrong. She never hurt anyone. I killed people, I killed people, I killed people.

People don't always get what they deserve, in fact, they rarely do. Mymother died sick. My father died alone. My sister died young. My brother died achild. Finnick is a prostitute. Mags has no children. Katniss has no home.Peeta has been tortured. Johanna has been beaten. And what do I get? I get ababy on the way, a husband who will love me forever, and a celebrated wedding.It's not fair._video.��\-���