•Chapter 47•

[Dalton]

Once Jaiden came back I could automatically tell something was wrong by the way she was constantly looking around. She hands La'porsha and Mackenzie their punch and just keeps looking around like a paranoid squirrel that's running on caffeine.

"You guys they have a dance floor you guys wanna go party," Mackenzie says in excitement.

"Sounds like fun," I say grabbing Jai's hand giving her a smile.

"Yeah that sounds like fun," she says giving me an awkward smile.

We all go to the dance floor and start dancing. I laugh as Jaiden starts to liven up on the dance floor. I try and keep her distracted from whatever she was looking for.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," Jai says.

"Oh I'll go with you," La'porsha says as they grab hands and walk toward the bathroom.

Mackenzie, Trent, and I go stand away from the speakers.

"Hey man what's up with Jai," Trent asks.

"I was wondering the same thing," Mackenzie adds sitting on a stool.

"I'm not sure. She was fine before she went to go get drinks."

"Hey boys," Sonika says walking over to us.

"Hey Sonika," Mackenzie says in his regular friendly tone.

"What are we talking about over here?"

"Oh we were just talking about Jai," Trent says looking at me.

"She's a nice girl," Sonika says digging into her purse.

"She is," Mackenzie answers for me.

I wave to Jai and La'porsha as they come back toward us. Jai hesitates to walk over to the group. I assume it's the past between Sonika and her.

"I'm gonna go hang out with my family for a little while but I'll meet you back here later," Jai whispers in my ear.

"Okay," I say noticing Jai's face has turned more pale.

"Dalton we gotta talk," La'porsha whispers in my ear.

"Alright," I say as we walk back to a corner, "what's up?"

"Did you know Sonika paid Mr. Bailey?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Jai and I were in the bathroom washing our hands when the door opened she jumped. I asked her what was wrong and she said Sonika told her at the punch bowl that she paid Mr. Kent Bailey to take a picture of Sonika kissing your cheek," La'porsha said crossing her arms over her chest.

I stood in shock. From Sonika's pattern I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

"Honey," La'porsha says snapping me out of my paralyzed thought, "you gotta talk to Jai and make sure she is okay."

"I'm on it," I say giving La'porsha a hug, "thank you for telling me."

I walk around trying to find Jai. I walk toward the area where the food is set up and see Joey and Jake sitting at a table throwing cherries into each other's mouths.

"Hey guys," I say sitting down with them.

"Hey Dalty," Jake says catching a cherry.

"Do you guys know where Jai went?"

"I think she went for a walk in the parking lot," Joey says pointing to the back door.

"Thanks guys," I say getting up and walking out of the back door.

I walk outside and look around for her. No sign. I walk toward a bunch of tables and see Jai sitting alone playing with her fingers.

"Hey you," I say sitting down across from her.

"Hey I was just about to come see you," she says not making eye contact with me.

"La'porsha told me about what Sonika said," I say holding her hands.

"Dalton. she paid Kent," she says with a couple tears running down her cheeks, "I'm so tired of her trying to break us up," she wipes her eyes and laying her head down on our hands.

"Jaiden come here," I bring her to my lap wrapping my arms around her in a hug letting her cry on my shoulder, "Sonika has tried so hard to break us up but the thing is we're still together. As long as we have each other who gives a fuck if she wants us broken up. I love you and that's all that matters," I smile giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Why is it that you always know exactly what to say," she giggles wiping under her eyes.

"How about we go back and watch a movie," I smile as we get up and hold hands.

"That sounds fantastic," she smiles holding both we hands and we walk inside.