chapter 15

Picture of Astrid on top.

SONG - MONEY - FOXES

Astrid was one of a kind. Gorgeous, sophisticated and with a magnetic aura, there was no avoiding her once acquainted. It would explain why she was the very first friend I'd made all those years ago and still remained very much in my life today.

"Do you have a reservation?" the host politely asked. I was in Le Meriden, a newly opened restaurant in the Upper East Side. It was semi-formal; the sort of place where suits and evening gowns weren't exactly required but you knew that dressing down would still earn you a funny look. Exactly the sort of place I expected her to pick for our lunch date.

"Yes. In the party of Miss. Armani." I replied.

He smiled at me "Follow me to your table sir."

I was led through he oddly designed establishment. It was decorated in Persian styled décor but had French phrases stenciled on the walls and half nude sculptures. He led me to a private booth shielded away from prying eyes where Astrid was seated on the low table with red cushions as chairs. She was dressed in a white wrap around jumper, her delicate wrists were encased with two diamond encrusted bracelets and a matching pair as diamond studs on her ear. Her normally short stylish hair had grown into luxurious tresses that stopped on her shoulder and were swept past her ears. I noticed a new tattoo peeking out of her white pants on her crossed ankles.

"Just a year away and you've already forgotten about me." She joked reaching out for a hug. I pecked her on both cheeks as was our customary greeting. Sometimes it struck me as a bit risqué but it was tradition.

"I can never forget about you." I said kissing her hand.

Astrid laughed waggling her finger "No wonder you get all the boys. That charm of yours is simply astounding."

I grinned sitting down "I missed you Astrid."

"Oh me too Ryan. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a butterfly who could stay in one place. But alas I am not." She said dramatically tossing her head behind.

"You let your hair grow longer." I observed.

Astrid patted her brunette mane as if just noticing it now, "It was a bit cooler where I was and decided that I let short for much too long."

"Where did you travel to?" I asked curiously.

"Iceland. Daddy is friends with the prime minister and he hosted us." She said dismissively as the waiter came with orange looking two drinks in transparent tea cups before handing us the menus. I eyed it "What is this?"

"Jasmine chai tea. Very delicious." Astrid said drinking it all in one go before I could even sip mine. "Complimentary. Isn't this place wonderful? I discovered it when I came into the city on Thursday. I think it's a French and Persian fusion style cuisine the owner is experimenting with."

That would explain the décor.

I sipped on the sweet tea and set it down "So what have you been up to Astrid?"

She shook her head placing both hands on the table "Nothing too interesting. How have you been Ryan?" I knew what she meant to say.

Are you ok?

Not slipping into old habits?

Confident as ever?

Astrid was the reason behind my transformation in high school.

She'd found me in Boston, sitting on a ditch with my wrists slit and ready to die. It was a horrific day; Nathan and Emmett had bullied me s normal but by the time I'd gotten home, Chris was angry and turned it right on to me. He called me all sorts of names and pushed me against the way. The worst part was that when I looked up with tears in my eyes, my mother had been standing there all through. She watched him and didn't say a word which meant she thought it was true. That was the greatest betrayal of all.