Original | Chapter Two

(Sierra's POV)

"Wake up, stupid," somebody commands.

I ignore whomever it is and try to return to my sleep, but the next thing I know, I'm being shoved off of my bed and onto the floor. I kick my blanket off of my legs and stand up to find a girl around my age laughing at me.

"Mistress said that I had to wake you up for breakfast, but I really shouldn't have. You're already too fat," she says before sauntering out of the room, leaving me standing there.

I grab my outfit for the day and head to the bathroom. Once I've showered quickly, I dry myself off with a towel and slip into my undergarments. I grab my blade and cut myself once on my right side. After I've stopped the slight bleeding and hidden my razor, I change into my outfit. I decided to wear a baggy pink sweatshirt and black jeans. I lace up my light pink Converse sneakers and finish off my outfit with a black beanie and aviator glasses, leaving my long blonde hair down and natural.

I exit the bathroom and start walking to the cafeteria. I'm not going to eat anything, but sometimes the head mistress has something important to announce, or if we're lucky, there'll be somebody looking to adopt one of us. Upon entering the cafeteria, the loud noise of the other girls engulfs me, and I resist the urge to cover my ears. How can they be so happy? I take a seat at the lone table crammed into a far corner of the room, which is empty as always. This should just be considered my table because I'm the only one who ever sits here. I fold my arms on the table and lay my head down, looking around. The same girls who make my life a living hell are now giggling and talking happily among their groups of friends. I heave a depressed-sounding sigh, turning my head so that I'm no longer looking at them but through the window. I watch as autumn leaves flutter to the ground. The tones of red, orange, and yellow stand out as the sun's rays beat down on them. I yearn to go outside, but why should I torture not only myself but also the people out there with my hideousness?

I hear somebody take a seat at my table, but I don't look up, assuming that it's just another person who will bully me.

"Hi," an unfamiliar voice greets.

I look away from the window and sit up to face a girl who appears to be younger than me. Her brunette hair is about the same length as mine, and she has dark brown eyes. Her eyes are warm, and her smile is inviting. Why is she talking to me? Who is she?

"Hello," I say.

"I'm Madison, but everyone just calls me Maddie," she informs me, sticking out her hand for me to shake.

I cautiously shake her hand. I won't let my guard down. I can't handle getting stabbed in the back again. My emotions remind me of a song. How did it go again?

I'm addicted to the madness.

I'm a daughter of the sadness.

I've been here too many times before.

Been abandoned, and I'm scared now.

I can't handle another fall out.

I'm fragile, just washed upon the shore.

Yeah, that's it. I love that song, but I don't know the name of it nor do I know who sings it. I don't listen to much music. I don't have a phone or an iPod or anything like that.

"I'm Sierra."

"That's a pretty name."

"Thanks," I say, taken aback by her compliment.

"You're welcome. How old are you?"

"Twelve," I reply.

"I'm eleven."