Original | Chapter Ten

(Sierra's POV)

"I thought I told you never to call me again!" Demi screams loudly enough that I can hear her all the way in the living room.

I'm assuming that she's on the phone because I hear no reply. 

"I'm sick of hearing your apologies!"

I squeeze my eyes shut tighter and cover both ears with my pillow.

"Don't try to turn this situation around and make me the bad guy!"

With an annoyed huff, I toss back my pillow and blanket and trudge out of my bed. I storm into the living room, but Demi doesn't notice, for her back is turned to me.

"You are such an asshole! I honestly have no idea how the hell we lasted so long."

I can faintly hear a noise coming from her phone.

"You don't think I miss what we had?" she quietly questions in a wounded tone.

Sniffling, she removes her phone from her ear and turns it off. With an ear-shattering scream, she suddenly throws her phone at the nearby wall. It shatters and cascades to the carpet.

Sobs continue to wrack through her body as she turns to face me. I freeze like a deer in a pair of headlights. She rolls her eyes.

"Why are you up?" she questions in between tears and sniffles.

"Kind of hard to sleep when you're yelling," I reply, my tone emotionless.

She bitterly chuckles.

"I honestly have no idea what my family saw in you. Why would they want an emo freak for a daughter?"

I know she's just saying that out of spite; I know she doesn't mean it and will totally regret it later, but I can't help but feel a deep ache in my bones at her words. Granted, I did act like a bitch to her yesterday, but my words couldn't have hurt her as much as her words are hurting me, right?

"They want you, don't they?" I spit back at her, unable to hold in my frustration.

Demi's body tenses, but she doesn't bother to comment.

Guilt and regret gnaw at my soul, but I make no move to apologize.

"At least I'm not a disappointment," I continue to attack.

"You sure about that?"

No.

"I'm positive," I lie in what I hope is a convincing tone.

She walks past me, retreating up the stairs. Halfway up, she peers at me over her shoulder.

"Maybe you should do us all a favor by just leaving.  Nobody wants a burden like you here, anyway," she advises, continuing to walk up the stairs like nothing happened.

 "Look who's up," Dallas coos upon walking through the front door, oblivious to everything that previously happened.

"Where are Dianna, Eddie, and Maddie?" I ask.

"Maddie's out with Bea. She would've asked you to tag along, but you were asleep.  Mom and Dad went out somewhere... How's Demi?" she explains, adding the last part as an afterthought.

"Moody, as always," I vaguely respond. 

I yearn to ask Dallas a question that's been bothering me since that day we went to the mall. I hesitate, contemplating my next words.

"Dallas, does Demi have a boyfriend?"

I can see her visibly tense, much like Demi did earlier.

"Why do you ask?" she inquires in a nonchalant tone.