Original | Chapter Sixteen

(Sierra's POV)

Demi opens her mouth to say something but is interrupted by the shrill ringing of her cell phone. I glance down at the phone, which is still clutched in my palm.

"It's Dallas," I inform, thrusting the phone towards her.

Demi rolls her eyes, taking the phone from me.

"Hello?" she answers in a less than enthused tone.

Her gaze meets mine as her eyes widen.

"What? Dallas, calm down."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and slight worry.

"How dare you accuse me of-" she pauses.

"Put her on speaker," I mouth to Demi.

She nods, removing the phone from her ear and tapping the screen a couple of times.

"I want a straightforward answer, Demi," Dallas' strict tone surprises me. "Have you relapsed like a bunch of blog sites, and even some of your fans, are suggesting?"

"Of course not! I would never go back to that."

I shake my head in disappointment. Is Demi ever going to stop lying to everyone?

"Are you sure?" Dallas persists.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Do you swear on your life?"

"Yes, I promise. I swear on my life. Cross my heart and hope to die."

"Okay, well, mom wants you and Sierra here within the next hour or so. She wants to talk to you two. Sierra, especially."

I bite my tongue, silently wondering what Dianna wants to talk to me about. Did I do something wrong? What if she suspects my issues?

"About what?" Demi curiously inquires.

"I have no idea, but it sounded kind of urgent."

"Oh," Demi frowns, shooting me a confused glance that I return. "Well, okay. We'll see you soon. Bye."

"Wilmer, do you have a shovel?" I question, rising to my feet. "I'm gonna start digging a grave for Demetria here since she so easily promised a lie on her life."

"Oh, shut up, Sierra," Demi scoffs.

"What do you think our mom wants to talk to us about?" I change the subject.

"I don't know, but it can't be anything too bad."

"She said that it was urgent," I remind her.

"Mom always says that," she smiles, her statement news to me. "In fact, the last time she said it was..." she pauses, her smile dropping.

"Right before your parents told you that you needed to go to Timberline Knolls," Wilmer finishes for her.

"Yeah," she whispers, her face draining of color and morphing into a panicked expression. "What if they tell me to go back? I won't go. I can't handle that again. I don't need help. I'm fine."

I gently shush her as her breathing picks up in speed.

"Demi, calm down," I softly order.

"Demi," Wilmer claims the spot where I was previously sitting. "Nena, breathe."

Tears glide down her flushed cheeks as he places a hand on her shoulder.

"Breathe," he repeats.

"Breathe

Just breathe

Take the world off your shoulders and put it on me