Original | Chapter Three

(Sierra's POV)

I wake up around six the next morning. I feel guilty about yelling at Maddie yesterday. She didn't deserve to be yelled at. That's when I remember that they're taking me home with them today. I'm getting out of here!

I excitedly jump out of my bed and hurry towards my dresser. After grabbing my outfit, I enter my bathroom and take a long, hot shower. When I'm finished, I quickly dry my body and hair, pushing the thoughts of self-harm to the back of my mind. I don't want to look even more like a cat's scratching pole than I already do. I want to make a good first impression.

I change into a simple white tee-shirt and red jeans, sliding a jean jacket on over my shirt and lacing up my red, white, and blue Converse. I finish off my outfit with a red scarf and a red bow headband, then grab a bottle of white nail polish and exit my bathroom to paint my nails.

Once my nails are finally dry, I start to pack the few possessions that I have. I cram all of my clothes into the only suitcase that I own and slide my blade into the pocket of my jeans. I grab my suitcase and my white purse before exiting the room, thankfully not waking any of the other girls. It's not like I ever enjoy being bullied, but I especially don't feel like dealing with that today. Today is supposed to be a good day.

I wait in the head mistress' office for Maddie and her family to pick me up. They finally arrive after thirty minutes or so, and Mr. and Ms. De La Garza go off to sign some final paperwork for the head mistress.

"Hey," Maddie greets, taking a seat beside me.

"Hi."

"Are you excited?"

I nod.

"Me too! I can already tell that you're going to be an amazing sister," she says, wrapping her arms around me in a hug that I return.

It feels foreign to me. Nobody ever shows me any form of love or affection, only hate. She lets go first, and we just talk about random things until her parents return.

"Welcome to the family, Sierra," Her mom says.

"Thank you, Ms. De La Garza," I politely respond.

"Oh, honey, you're part of the family now! Call me mom, or Dianna, or just about anything you like," she says with a smile which I return. "We need to hurry and get home, though. Demi should be getting home any minute now," Dianna informs the three of us.

The drive to their... our house doesn't take too long. The house is gorgeous, but I don't have much time to admire it, for Eddie immediately grabs my suitcase, and Maddie leads me into the house. She takes me straight to her bedroom.

"This is my room," she says.

"Cool," I reply, trying to process everything.

"Yeah, so, let's go downstairs to the living room. Demi should be getting here soon," she says, taking my hand and leading me back downstairs.

We plop down on the couch, and her family joins us a minute later.

"That's Dallas," Maddie whispers in my ear, pointing towards her older sister.

I nod, silently.

"So, Sierra, are you okay with us adopting you?" Dianna asks in a worried tone.

Only if you're okay with dealing with a girl who cuts and purges.

"Yes," I reply, clearing my throat.

"Great! We're very open in this family. So, if you ever need to talk to any of us about anything, let us know."