Chapter 5

Oh my goodness! There is so much action in this chapter, I love it

Remember to tell me what you think! I love comments.

~~~~

Elizabeth sat in the sitting room, working on her needlepoint. She had the company of her sister Anne and the family dog sat at Elizabeth's feet. Anne was humming a lovely English tune when a servant girl burst through the doors with a letter in hand.

"Lady Elizabeth, a letter from the King," she said, curtseying. Elizabeth, despite the butterflies, remained calm. She didn't rush over and snatch the letter from the girl's hand as she would liked. Instead Elizabeth rose gracefully and took, long ladylike strides towards the platter with the letter on it.

"Thank you," she murmured, picking the letter up. "That'll be all," she said, waving her hand in a dismissive manner.

Anne jumped up and was by her side before she even knew what was happening. "Well aren't you going to open it?" Anne questioned impatiently. Elizabeth ignored her sister's pestering and sat back down her chair. She broke the King's seal and opened the letter.

My Dear Elizabeth,

I mean not to rush into such diplomatic matters so quickly. I do not have much time left here. It seems the Duke of Somerset and Sir Ralph Percy are uniting against me. There has been talk that the Duke will come out of his own castle and command his army. The poor man must be at his wits end; they tell me he has finally come back to sanity, but who knows for how much longer? There is speculation of the French Queen sending troops into England, and once again we will have to face the power of France on our English soil again. I must leave, Elizabeth. I have to fight to protect my people, hence I am leaving the day after next. My other matter of business is your land. I have asked my friend to support your claims. Before the year's end you shall have your lands back.

Oh Elizabeth, let me call on you one last time, tomorrow. I have longed to see you ever since our last encounter. I often catch myself thinking about you during the day and my dreams are of you. A lovely woman with white creamy skin, long golden hair that cascades down her back and lips as red as roses. I must see you before I leave. Will you allow me to meet you tomorrow morning at the old oak tree?

Yours truly,

Edward

Elizabeth dropped the letter onto the desk beside her as if it had burned her. She folded her hands on her lap to hide her shaking from Anne's sight. Anne was seated on the floor in front of her, her eyes ablaze with curiosity.

"Are you feeling quite well, Elizabeth? You look deathly pale and you're shaking." Elizabeth wetted her lips and cleared her throat; she forced a smile onto her lips.

"Before the year is over, the boys and I will have our lands back," Elizabeth said, taking Anne's hands into her own and giving them a quick and gentle squeeze.

"Oh Elizabeth! That's wonderful. You must tell Mamma, she'll be absolutely thrilled. Show Papa the letter or he'll be too stubborn to believe the King has actually done something so wonderful," Anne said, pulling her hands away from Elizabeth's and clapping them together. Elizabeth's smile faltered at the thought of showing her father the, suggestive at best, letter. Elizabeth's mind kept searching for every possible excuse to not show their father the letter, but she kept coming up empty.

"Oh for goodness sake! I'll do it."

Anne reached for the letter and before Elizabeth knew what she was doing she felt the sharp sting of skin hitting skin. Anne retracted her hand, cradling it to her bosom. She opened her mouth to ask why on earth Elizabeth had done that, but Elizabeth cut her off.