Chapter 6

This is not edited yet. I'm mainly just working on actually completing chapters then going over and editing them later. This chapter is shorter than the others, just because I couldn't go on any further with this chapter... More exciting stuff in the next chapter I promise. If you liked the chapter of the book thus far please vote and tell me what you think of it with a comment! Thank you, and enjoy the chapter!

~~~

It wasn't denial that prevented Elizabeth from believing that she would never see the King again. She just knew. For the next three nights Elizabeth would stroll down to the riverbank and repeat her routine of getting a handful of water then patting the soil down. On the fourth night she walked down and a sense of déjà vu hit her. Jacquetta was standing there waiting for her with a book in hand. "Mamma," Elizabeth greeted.

"Elizabeth," Jacquetta exclaimed, turning around and kissing her daughter on the cheek. "Have you come every night and watered?"

"Yes."

"Very good, and has the King sent you any word?"

"Nothing Mamma, and he dare say he won't for awhile. He no longer cares for me and he thinks poorly of me. And rightfully so."

"Do not worry, my dear. No man is able to stay away from you for long. Take John Grey as an example." Elizabeth smiled at the thought of John. It was true, he had always been anxious to get home to her and the boys. "Continue to water this area. Something great is growing under the soil." Elizabeth nodded her head then took her mother's arm and they slowly started walking back towards the house.

"I've heard talk in the town that Edward is gathering young and old men alike to join his army at Northampton," Elizabeth said, twirling a flower she'd plucked between her fingers.

"King Henry our rightful Lancastrian King has a great number of troops gathered in Northumberland. They are planned to march south into London soon. The Queen has a French army at Hull, and they are to march up to meet king Henry in London. I dare say if King Henry wins then it shan't matter what his Grace thinks of you at all. And then king Henry will be the rightful king again," Jacqetta said. Elizabeth involuntarily gasped and she pulled her arm away from her mother.

"Mamma, don't say such horrid things!" Elizabeth turned away from her mother and wrapped her arms around her body as if to protect herself from the words her mother had just said. But Jacquetta wouldn't take any of it. She spun her daughter back around to look her straight in the eye.

"Why does that bother you so, my dear?" Jacquetta tried to hide the smirk that was pulling at her lips but the corners of her mouth tilted up as she spoke to her daughter. She wasn't being very nice. She knew she should leave the poor girl alone and stop taunting her, but she continued. "You can't stomach to hear of his defeat?"

"Stop it," Elizabeth whispered, her hands trembling.

"Stop what?"

"I cannot bare to think of him dead! He asked for me to lie with him before he left, as a man off to face his last battle." Elizabeth let a deep breath out. She felt relieved to finally tell someone that bit of information. Elizabeth didn't get the reaction she expected out of her mother. She thought a gasp would be appropriate for the situation. Instead Jacquetta shocked her by laughing. It was a shrill, loud sort of laugh, which confused Elizabeth even more.

"Of course he did, my dear. What man who is about to go off into battle isn't going to try and get the most advantage from it?"

"Well, I refused him, so it doesn't matter." There was a pause between the two women before Elizabeth spoke up again. "Oh, but Mamma, should he die in that battle I will regret the refusal. I regret it even now! I shall regret it for infinity!"

"Why should you regret it? Your lands have been restored. Even if King Edward dies, King Henry will restore..." Elizabeth cut Jacquetta off before she could finish the sentence.

"I demand you stop talking so horribly about King Edward!" Jacquetta sternly looked at Elizabeth. The fun and games were finished now; she needed to talk some sense into Elizabeth's silly head.

"You must listen to what you're saying, Elizabeth. You were born into the house of Lancaster. If you feel so strongly about King Edward then I cannot prevent you from feeling for him. You must not act on those feelings unless Edward becomes king victorious. Don't you remember who this man is? You have two sons who are fatherless, and who is to blame for that? Your beloved King Edward. You must remember your head in these times, Elizabeth. Edward took your husband in a matter of days. He can just as easily take away your father, your brothers and even your sons," Jacquetta said. Not waiting for Elizabeth's reply she turned on her heel and walked quickly through the gates and into the house. Elizabeth followed after her slowly, turning everything over in her head. She understood that this was the last moment that she should forget her head. She needed to be aware of her every action. She couldn't help her attraction to the King, though. There was something about their communion that drew her to him repeatedly. Her mind screamed no to him, but her heart thumped yes.

Instead of walking into the house like her mother had, Elizabeth wandered into the garden, sitting down on the swing her father had built for her children. She let out a sigh then leaned her head against the rope, letting the wind rock her back and forth. At this point Elizabeth couldn't do anything. The King was off fighting a battle and wanted nothing to do with her. She could only make her move on the King after he was victorious. She couldn't stop the little voice that wandered into her mind. If he is victorious, it whispered, toying with her emotions. Elizabeth's eyes had been closed as she sat rocking gently on the swing, but now her eyes snapped open. "He will be victorious. He will be recognized as the true King and he shall be my King and I his Queen." That was all the convincing Elizabeth needed. She banished the thought of Edward defeated from her mind. She stood up from the swing and made her way to the house. She pushed the doors open and retired to her room for the night.