Chapter Seventeen

"You are an interesting character, my child." Lucifer grinned, as he took a seat in what I thought to be his throne. I remained silent, afraid to say something that would get me killed. Or worse, for that matter.

He laughed a slight bit, knowing I was nervous.
"Relax, relax, I know I'm all scary and all, considering you haven't been here for very long. But what you learn on Earth is sorta... All wrong?"
"Wh-what do you mean, sir?" I questioned, my voice still showing cowardice.
"Well, I'd say I'm not so bad. Sure, I made a stupid mistake up in heaven, and I regret it. But now I must live with that mistake for all of eternity. However, instead of saying, 'Oh, why is it me that must suffer this?! I must seek vengeance!', I have accepted it."
I stood there, not really believing what I was hearing.

"Hard to believe, I know. But I'm just in charge of the people who don't deserve to be in heaven. I like giving people what they truly deserve, yes?"
"That kinda makes sense."
"Precisely. And the man up above has actually seen that this is where I belong. I have a purpose here. And someone has to enforce the rules, right? So that's my job. I'm almost like... A vigilante of sorts."
"Sure. Yeah."

There was a moment of silence, and then I questioned why I was in an early meeting with the devil.
"So... I didn't think I would have my first meeting with you so soon."
"Right. Well... You're special, Sage. You are a power that is very essential to both heaven and hell's existence."
"M-me? Why? I'm just some teenager."
"No, my child. Far from it, actually. I don't fully understand why you were chosen, but you were. Well, here's the issue. There is something far dangerous that is going to happen. And you... You'll have to save everyone."
"Oh. Uh... I think you've got the wrong Sage. I-"

He abruptly shushed me, sealing my lips with what seemed to be some sort of spell.
"Now, you must listen to me, and take it very seriously. I'll need to train you. I need to make you strong if you're going to face him. But we have to start small."

He released me from the spell, allowing me to react.
"Who is him?" I asked.
"Not even me and the lord have the authority to tell you. You see, only me and him can see what shall happen after eternity. If we are to tell others what will happen, they'd not only panic, but lose trust in us. Understand?"
"I guess."
"Splendid. Now, child, you must understand this: you must save heaven and hell from complete destruction. It must be scary to hear, but you will do it. Ok?"
"I'm scared, confused, nervous, worried, terrified, weak-"
"No." He interrupted me. "You may be most of those things, but you are not weak. You have abilities no other demon has, Sage."
"What do you mean?" I asked with almost a giggle. I'm not special.

"You must fully unlock your powers to truly understand them."
"I don't have any powers. Not compared to anyone else, at least. I'm the new kid who's easy to push around." I groaned, being reminded of Elliot nearly killing me.

"Well, you can get through the barrier of the main building with your wings intact. That's one abnormality. You don't know who your parents are, you don't know how important you really are to us, you're surprisingly very immortal, you basically are the afterlife's Harry Potter in a way. Or not. Your call on how you want to think of it."
"Y-you know who my parents are!" I screamed, suddenly realizing I could actually finally know who my parents are. I never knew who they actually were. I would just call them "mommy" and "daddy" while I knew them. When that fire occurred, everyone involved in my life made sure I didn't know who I descended from. Even if it wasn't on purpose. 

"Indeed. Your tale is quite the chat in hell. It's actually a story that defines hell: you make mistakes out of pure greed. And this is where you end up if you take that statement too far."
"Who are my parents?" I asked as a demand. I felt a tear stream down my face, as all my emotions were hitting me at once.

"I shall not give you their names, but I shall tell you of your story, young one. Why you are here."