nine

Skylar woke up the next morning to the sound of arguing. She groaned pushing her head farther into the pillow. What the hell? She wondered. She peeled herself out of bed and trudged out her room and down the hall towards the voices. Her hair was fuzzy and all over the place because she forgot to wrap it.

She was grumpy and tired. Nobody messes with her sleep!

From the spot she stood she walked in and all movements seemed to stop. Everyone in the room froze. Skylar could tell demi was upset because she had a scowl on her face as she ran her fingers through her hair untangling it.

Skylar took a chance to glance at everyone in the room. The air as cold as Antarctica, everyone's eyes bored into her as if she was some foreigner. Not from their planet.

The older man with jet black hair and deep chocolate brown eyes in the fancy suit had to be Demi's father. She was a spitting image of him. There was also a women with red-ish hair in the room, she was sitting on the couch looking quite upset just like demi.

Skylar walked farther into the room feeling a little uncomfortable with their judgemental stares. Especially Demi's father. He was scary looking and his taunt shoulder were as stiff as a wall as she brushed past him and went over to demi.

For some reason she did something she didn't think she'd ever do, she sat in Demi's lap and buried her face in her neck shielding herself from everyone. This startled demi a bit, she wasn't expecting it and jumped slightly as Skylar's hair tickled her neck as she got comfortable in her lap.

After the initial shock was over she didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around the small girl.

Demi's father scoffed not believing his eyes, demi not only brought a fugitive into her home, but she was growing attached to her. Knowing the chances of her going to jail were ninety five percent.

"Dad not now, we'll talk about this later." Demi dismissed, not wanting Skylar to hear how much trouble she could get in for what she was doing.

For housing her.

"Demi do you understand that you can lose your job for this? This is illegal. You might have the company now but if word gets out that your housing this- this criminal! They will end your career before it even got to its peak." He ranted, he was getting so upset he could feel his blood pressure rising and the lightheadedness creeping on him.

Demi rolled her eyes, "No one will find out and its not like she'll stay in a foster home. That's basically letting her free."

"Are you actually defending your idiotic illegal actions?" He questioned bewildered.

"You should listen to them." Skylar spoke up, finally finding her voice, "They have a point. I wouldn't want you to get in legal trouble because of me I'm not worth it."

"Wow," Demi's father clapped, "The criminal has more sense than my own daughter isn't that just lovely."

Demi looked down at Skylar who was still seated in her lap, "Skylar what are you saying? Do you not want to stay with me?"

Skylar thought for a moment, she didn't want demi to get in trouble because of her. She felt the need to protect her and Skylar staying there would only cause more problems and eventually her old gang would find her and Demi's life would be on the line.

So she decided to do the thing she does best, lie. "No, I don't and I would actually like it if you dropped me off at the foster home. I won't run away and I'll show up to every court date. But I can't stay here any longer."

Demi deflated, not knowing why she was so bothered by what Skylar had said. "If that's what you want."

"You know what? I'll drive her there." Demi's father volunteered, almost excitedly.

"I got this dad just go." She growled out, he seemed pleased and left without farther word. Once they were out and she was sure they left she turned to Skylar who was looking down at her feet.

"You don't have to go. I have no problem giving you a place to stay." Demi said gently, she didn't want to come off begging and desperate but she had to somehow convince her to stay.

"It's for the best. you heard what he said your career could be put at stake." Skylar countered her words.

"My father says a lot of things " demi chuckled, "That doesn't always make him right."

Skylar rolled her eyes walking to her room to get dressed, "I overstayed my visit anyway."

Demi huffed, she couldn't believe what she was about to say. She never thought in her life she would be here begging a fourteen year old, juvenile to stay in her house.

"I don't want you to go. I'll get the proper paper work so you can stay here." The lawyer reasoned.

"Why?" Skylar asked her frustratingly, "Why won't you just give up on me like the rest?"

"Because I see how much you need someone." Demi answered, "If you haven't noticed I'm not one to go down without a fight. Now you're staying and that's final."

"Demi..." Skylar sighed in defeat.

"It's not up for discussion now come on. I'll make you breakfast and we can watch a movie." Demi grinned. Skylar was convinced that demi was actually crazy. It was the only logical explanation for her behavior and insistence on her staying there.

But Skylar couldn't help but smile, she liked a little crazy.