Eleven

Skylar watches from afar as the forensic team dug up one of her closet friends who she considered family, decomposing body. While demi looked on, ordering them to move faster. She couldn't believe demi was actually doing this. Didn't she know when to draw the line? Skylar was disgusted with herself at the outcome.

You don't go digging up the dead and disturbing them and that she knew that for a fact. And now they were going to be after her more now than ever because she told. To them, she's a snitch and the only justice a snitch gets in the drug world his death.

Skylar felt defeated as she watched them pile his unrecognizable body onto a gurney. She wondered how it ever came to this. How she let things get so out of control in her life that she could actually be doing time for it.

For the first time in a long time she was scared, terrified even of what the future held for her. In Skylar's world the only logical saying that meant alot to her was everything happens for a reason. She believed that wholeheartedly.

Some times, for example, now, she didn't understand why these things were happening to her. But she knew not to think about it too much. Because that would do nothing for her. She was fucked.

Getting lost in her own thoughts at the moment wasn't a good idea so skylar decided to head over towards demi. She could use the distraction.

"Hey." Demi greeted immediately sensing Skylar's presence.

After several moments of silence sky spoke up."Demi, can I ask you something?"

Not once did demi look up from her tablet as she took pictures of the hole in the ground. "You just did, but continue."

Sky rolled her eyes, "I'm being serious demi can you not joke around for one second???"

Demi quirked one of her perfectly sculpted eyebrows, "Who said I was Joking?"

"Whatever." Sky huffed, crossing both arms over her chest as she glared at the pile of dug up dirt. "Can you just put him back when you're done? I went through a lot to get him buried here and we visit every year on the anniversary of his death. It's a tradition."

It was as if a light bulb went off in Demi's head as she spoke those last words.

"All of you show up on this anniversary date?" She questioned.

"Yes but-" Sky began to say only to be greeted by a gust of wind as skylar watched Demi's retreating figure briskly glide across the warehouse grounds into the street where their car was parked.

Taking a deep breath skylar jogged towards the car where demi was. Slightly pissed off that demi didn't answer her question. She made sure to slam the door loudly when she got in which grabbed Demi's attention.

Concern washed over Demi's features, "What's wrong?"

Skylar could feel the tears prickling in her eyes. She was so upset, after so long of bottling up her emotions, walking around with no care in the world. In this one moment demi singlehandedly managed to break down the steel door that held her together for so many years. Letting her actually feel, for the first time.

"It's going to be okay." Demi cooed, wrapping her arms around Skylar knowing exactly what was going on with her. The lawyer placed her paper work in the back of her car as she scooted closer to skylar pulling her farther into her embrace. Hoping to protect her and mild her pain just for a moment.

"No it's not." Skylar hiccuped, "Nothing lasts forever."

Demi shook her head in disagreement.

"This." Skylar pointed between them. "Isn't real, you're only here temporarily. And once all of this is over I'll have nothing. I'll rot in jail for crimes that I never committed and you'll be able to move on with your perfect ole life as if none of this happened. You can forget about ever meeting me."

Demi held Skylar's chin forcing her to meet her burning gaze. "I can tell you right now that this isn't temporarily. Skylar, I think of you as my daughter. I could never forget about you even if I tried. You've impacted my life In a way no one else can. You changed and molded me not only into a better lawyer but a better person. No one is like you skylar, your paper work is just paper work. It doesn't define your character, or you as a person. Only you can do that. This is your life skylar you get to choose how you live it."

More tears cascaded down Skylar's cheeks as she held demi tighter burying her face into Demi's long black locks of hair that had a lavender scent to it.

"I love you." Skylar whispered brokenly Into demi's neck. "I wish you were my mom. My life would have turned out differently."

Demi's heart fluttered and she felt her own tears slipping out the brackets of her eyelids. She always wondered how being a parent felt and in this moment she got to experience that feeling first hand. Skylar was hers and she was going to do everything in her power to help her. The one thing she had to get done first was the adoption process. She didn't want to tell skylar right away, atleast until she had it written on paper which wouldn't take more than a week because she was one of the most well known and respected lawyers in the business after her father's legacy in the firm.

She had to win this case, losing wasn't an option.