Chapter 22: A New Friend

Sang

"Gabriel, where are we going?" I ask, huffing a bit at the fast pace he's setting.

"You'll see soon enough, and we have to go quickly because they close at eight." he tells me. I guess it can't be that far away since we're walking and the store closes in fifteen minutes.

"Cheer up Cupcake, you'll love it!" Luke says encouragingly. He knows too? I thought it was just Gabriel...

"Do all of you guys know where we're going?" I accuse. Nine heads bob affirmatively around me. "Why won't you just tell me?"

We left practice after Mr. Blackbourne made his announcement to visit this mystery place, but none of the boys will tell me and I'm starting to get really frustrated! Not to mention that I'm always hungry after swimming and I didn't bring a snack since I wasn't anticipating a side trip.

"Because we're here!" Gabriel calls out in a singsong voice. I look at the store he's gesturing to in confusion. Katie's Embroidery and Screen Printing? Sure, the little store seems very cozy with its flower pots and polka dot sign, but that doesn't explain why we need to be here.

Gabriel pushes open the door, causing a dainty bell to chime. I'm immediately overwhelmed by all of the purple in the store- the walls are purple, a purple light fixture casts purple light around the room, and purple fuzzy rugs cover the warm hardwood floor. All around me I can see examples of their products, from custom t-shirts to fancy embroidered hand towels.

"The Blackbourne team! I thought I might see you today." a cheerful voice calls out. A young woman, perhaps twenty or twenty-two years old, comes out from behind the counter. Based on the palette of the store I expected the employees to also have a purple uniform, but apparently I was mistaken. She's dressed from head to toe in black, with the only spot of color coming from a neon blue bracelet.

"Hi Katie!" Gabriel greets warmly. Katie stares at him for a couple seconds expectantly.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to this lovely bird?" she reproaches him. Gabriel shuffles around, embarrassed.

"Sorry Katie! This is Sang Sorenson, the newest swimmer on our team. Sang, this is Katie, the owner of this wonderful store." he says.

I mumble "Nice to meet you Katie" at the same time she says "Sang? I have an order for you!". I awkwardly laugh, but Katie takes it in stride and reaches out to shake my hand.

"It really is wonderful to meet you, Sang. If you give me just a second I'll go and get your order!" she says enthusiastically.

After Katie runs into the back of the store I turn towards the guys. "I didn't place an order here. What's going on?" I ask in confusion. My questioning is met with knowing smiles and a quip from Gabriel to have some patience. I'll get him back for that later!

"Here we go!" Katie says breathlessly, plopping a huge box down on the counter. My eyes widen at the sight of it. She starts pulling out item after item and placing them neatly next to the box. "Let's see, we have a backpack, a warmup jacket, five different t-shirts, two towels, a pair of warmup pants, and a parka. Sang, take a look and make sure it's all good."

Hesitantly, I walk up to the pile of clothes. Each item has some form of my name, the shark logo, and the Charleston Synchro Sharks on it. I flip over one of the t-shirts and start to tear up when I notice my name listed next to the boys. Somehow, this makes my entrance onto the team seem so much more official.