Chapter One: All My Fault

Mr. Mistoffelees sat in silence on top of the fence by his home, feeling empty and numb. A warm, gentle breeze blew his white whiskers around lightly, and he closed his wide eyes and sighed. Etcetera had been gone for two days now and he had failed to bring her back. He'd let the whole tribe down. What was wrong with him? Why wouldn't his powers do what he wanted them to? She was probably out there alone and scared and lost, and it was all his fault. 

Deuteronomy had returned to his home on the North Side, and Mistofelees was the Jellicles' only hope of finding the lost kitten. The cats feared the worst; that the young tabby had been kidnapped by the evil Macavity, and if this was true there was no way even the whole clan working together could take him down. Munkustrap had stated that this was their only plan, but Misto refused to let his friends and family risk their lives like this. His magic was the only possible thing that could beat the Hidden Paw, but it had failed him. He had been trying since Etcetera had vanished to harness his abilities in a way that could beat her kidnapper, but something was missing. Granted, the black and white tux was still learning how to use his magic, but usually he had some control over what he was doing and how he did it. Now there were times when he couldn't make anything happen at all. He had never experienced this before, and it made him feel vulnerable and weak. He was too scared to say anything to anyone because he knew it would make them panic. What would the other Jellicles say if they found out their most powerful weapon against Macavity wasn't working? He couldn't bear to let them down like that. But what else could he do? Without the powers he was nothing. Mistoffelees bowed his head in defeat and let the wind blow his tail back and forth underneath him. He was completely lost. He couldn't even go back to the yard to see his friends, because the first thing they would do is ask if he was ready to battle Macavity. Of course, Munkustrap had reiterated, he wouldn't have to go alone. They would assemble their finest warriors to accompany him. But it didn't matter. They'd surely die either way, and he couldn't let this happen. As his thoughts started to get cloudier, to the point where he couldn't bear it, he felt the presence of another cat behind him. He turned when he caught a familiar scent in the air. There, perched on the top of the wooden fence beside him was a big, black and leopard spotted Maine coon with heaps of wild golden fur on his head and chest. 

"Tugger, what are you doing here?" 

The skinny golden cat smirked, showing his white fangs. 

"Nice to see you too."

Tugger ran a paw through his fur and scratched at his leather spiked collar with his back foot. He raised an expectant eyebrow as he waited for a reply, but Misto was still deep in thought and not ready to make conversation. This was his private spot, and he had no idea how his "friend" had found him here, or why he wasn't with one of the search parties looking for signs of Etcetera. 

"What's up?" Tugger mewed, his voice slightly gentler than his usual confident tone. Mistoffelees looked back at the ground, still angry and confused and upset. 

"It's all my fault," he whispered, shaking his head lightly. He felt Tugger shift slightly beside him, and then move closer. He didn't say anything, waiting for the smaller cat to elaborate. 

"It's my fault," Misto continued, his voice shaky. "Etcetera's out there on her own, probably taken by Macavity, and she needs my help, but...but I...I messed up, Tug, I've messed up everything," he meowed, screwing his eyes shut in frustration. Tugger shook his head, confused. 

"Misto, it's...It's not your fault, I mean, how were you supposed to know-?"

"No, I mean, I have to bring her back! I...I have to..."

"So? Just use your magic-y stuff, right? You can do, like, anything with that."

Tugger didn't understand. Misto didn't expect him to. No-one would. How could they understand when he didn't even understand it himself? 

"I can't, Tug. I can't..." 

He just wanted to help Etcetera, but he couldn't. His frustration turned to sadness and he drooped his head low. He felt so stupid and pathetic. He hated talking about his feelings, and usually he would never open up to anyone, not even his best friend, but the confusion of it all was driving him crazy. This was the worst possible time for it to happen. Tugger moved closer again and rested his head on top of Misto's, wrapping his tail round the other cat protectively and purring softly. The small black cat felt safer now, less alone, but the guilt and fear was still eating away at him.  

"It'll be okay," Tugger murmured. "We'll find her."

Misto wanted more than anything to tell his friend the truth; after all, he'd understand, right? But something was stopping him. What if Tugger went and told the other cats? What if he laughed at him, or even worse, didn't believe him? A part of him liked to think he knew Tug better than this, but he couldn't be sure. Mistoffelees couldn't be sure of anything anymore. The only thing he knew was that Etcetera was in grave danger, and he was the only one who could bring her back safely.

If you read this, thank you! Don't worry, the story gets better, just I've never been good at openings so sorry about that. Tugger's such a good FRIEND, right? ;) Thank you for reading, I'd love feedback! :3 xxx