Chapter Twenty-Six: Fire

Mistoffelees didn't know what to do. 

Now he understood why Tugger never wanted to talk about his brother. He'd never realised how hurt he actually was over the whole thing. There was so much more to it than he'd seen before. He had been hurt and confused when Tugger rejected him earlier, but now the past ceased to exist. Anger boiled up inside him as he watched Macavity shove past Tugger and stand in silence, deep in thought. It was a strange moment, for no-cat attacked, they all just watched the young ginger tom, trying to predict his next move. They braced themselves for another fight, but it didn't come. Macavity didn't fight. Instead he whipped back round and chased after Demeter who had backed away into the wall. She mewed out again in terror, but Macavity merely brushed past her dominantly. He wasn't going after Demeter. He was going after the cream kitten who was sitting in front of him.

"No!" Misto yelled, chasing after him and grabbing his bushy tail in his white paws. "Run, Etcy, run!"

Etcetera turned and screamed when she saw the red cat. She didn't hesitate and bolted off into the distance, not looking back. Macavity whipped round and turned on Misto.

"You," he spat. "I remember you. That brat who always got everything right. It's your fault they never appreciated me. I could've ruled those cats if you hadn't got in the way."

Misto swallowed and spoke, his throat like sandpaper. It took him all the courage he had to reply. Tugger made eye contact with Demeter and once again she was told to run, but she didn't budge. She too was shocked by the brothers' conversation, and it made her even more determined to stay and fight. She still hated Tugger with a passion, but now she realised he wasn't as shallow and vain as she thought. Misto's voice once more interrupted her train of thought. 

"The only cat that stopped you from being one of us was yourself. All of this, you brought it on yourself. And you can blame me, or your brother, or Demi all you want, but it doesn't change a thing. And even if you did become the leader, I'd never, ever bow down to you."

Macavity at first looked startled, but then he bared his fangs and slinked past the small black and white cat. They all watched him, expecting him to chase after Etcy. But he didn't. In a flash of red, he materialized by Demeter and grabbed her neck in his fist, so tight she began to choke. He ran a razor sharp claw up her neck and brushed his muzzle against her fur. She tensed up completely and tried to pry him off, but he didn't budge.

"Right. Now I've got what I want, I'm going to give you ten seconds to get out of here and never come back." He spoke in such a low, quiet, calm tone. It had been the same when he was a kitten. You could never tell what he was thinking, or what he was going to do next, his voice was so empty.

"We're not going anywhere," Tugger snarled, flicking his tail behind him. He was still recovering from the confrontation before, but he wasn't giving up yet. "Put her down."

Macavity made a strange noise that came from the back of his throat. It was supposed to be a laugh. It sounded nothing like the one that used to ring out through the yard when he was a kit playing tag. It was dead and cold and flat.

"I thought the stupidity would wear off when you grew up. How wrong was I? Don't you get it? You've lost. And I have the decency to let you get out alive, so what are you still doing here?"

Misto glanced at Plato, who was lying behind him, coughing weakly in a pool of his own blood. The pale tabby stared at Mistoffelees, his dark eyes slits on his face.

"Go..." the young tom mewed, a hint of his old fierce self in his voice. Bombalurina was still unconscious on the cobbles, and she wasn't showing any signs of waking up. Mr. Mistoffelees shook his head solemnly and turned back to the Hidden Paw, who was still clutching the spluttering queen.

"You heard him...get out of here," Demeter croaked, her body going limp with defeat. Mistoffelees smacked his head in frustration. Why wouldn't his magic work? Then none of this would have happened. Everything was a mess, and it was all his fault. If his powers still worked he could do this! The anger surged up within him. Anger for Etcetera, and Demeter, and his two wounded friends on the floor. Anger for Tugger, who had only tried to be loyal and true but had been chewed up and spat out all the same. With one last burst of energy, he stood forward and planted his paws firmly on the ground. He flattened his ears and blocked out the pain of his injuries. His ear was torn and he was bleeding and bruised, but now he was numb with rage.

"We're not leaving until you let our friend go."

"And what do you plan to do? You think I'm stupid? Without your magic you're nothing."

How did he know that? How could he tell his magic was gone?

"I'm not leaving."

"Then I'll take care of you myself."

Macavity raised his free paw and in a millisecond a huge ball of flame shot out of his palm. Burning. Bright. Lethal.

"NO!" Demeter screamed, but there was nothing she could do. The fire flew towards the small black cat at lightning speed, and Demeter closed her eyes and braced for impact.