Chapter 12

Is that what he's thinking? It's my fault in the first place for not saying anything. I hold Annabeth close to my chest as strong as my brittle bones can let me.

"Mommy? Why you crying?" Annabeth looked up at me trying to wipe the tears away.

"Mommy is just thinking sweetie. A lot of things happened and I didn't mention things and I ended up hurting people." I looked at her. This little girl hardly understands what we were talking about. But I guess it's just the fact that an oblivious child can make someone feel better.

"Mommy..is it true what Cal said? Are you going to leave?" Her eyes turned glossy and leaned foward and kissed her cheek.

"I'm sorry baby. You see, sometimes people get very sick."

"But can't you take medicine?"

"Sometimes people get sick to the point that there's no medicine in the world that can make someone feel better." Annabeth buried her head into my neck and cried softly.

"Mommy, please don't go. Please mommy, I'll be good. I'll eat my vegetables and clean my room."

I held her a bit tighter in my arms. And soothed my crying child. I still didn't realize Cal watching us.

"Baby, remember the place I told you about. The place in the sky?"

"Yeah, it's heaven. Where all the angels live."

"Well, it's mommy's turn to be an angel and help watch everyone. I'll still be here baby I'll be invisible. Like magic baby."

"Can I go with you?" She said in between sobs.

"No, I'm sorry baby. But you know what?" She looked up at me and asked what.

"You can write letters to me in heaven. You can make a journal of everything you want to say to mommy and when it's full, you can put it on my new sleeping place."

"You promise you'll read it?"

"Of course baby." Her eyes lit up and she hugged me.

"So you won't really be gone then. Thank goodness." I smiled softly as I let her down and said she can go play on the playground if she wanted.

I watched that little girl run to the slide. That beautiful little girl with bouncy pigtails. It's not that I chose to leave. It's hit us all quickly.

I silently let the tears fall from my face. I held my face in my hands and cried. It took a bit to notice the strong arms embracing me and a chin on my shoulder.

"What wrongs Calvin?" I asked trying to compose myself.

"I'm sorry mom. I promise I wouldn't but I broke it." Droplets fell onto my shoulder and my son broke down.

"Cal. It'll be alright."

"No it won't mom." He says between sobs. "I'm losing you. I can't run from it anymore. It's my own fault for never coming to see you and not knowing what you decided to do. I just blew up in your face. I'm angry mommy. You're going to be taken away from me." Cal holds me tighter and begins to cry harder.

"You know I'll always be here sweetheart. I thought I was going to die the day I lost your father. And I thought I'd never get over it. But, the day you were born is when I woke up. I had a child I needed to care for and needed me. I remember looking into your newborn eyes and wondering how you would turn out. I raised you as best as I could. And not to brag but I think I did a pretty good job." I said crying and holding my 23 almost 24 year old son.

"I love you mom. I always will."

"I love you too Calvin. With all my heart."

I cried writing this chapter honestly. I felt the emotion of what was going on and it kills to know that this story is going to end soon. I thank you for sticking with me. This story, I've never wrote anything this tragic and it's my first time so yeah.