Chapter One: Shotgun Wedding

When Caspian was at his second home in the Dark Palace he always seemed to find himself on the roof of the highest tower at the castle. If he were in his apartment back in the human world he would be at the window next to his bookshelf looking at the stars. Here you couldn't see the stars.

"Cas?" He heard a voice from behind him. Caspian turned to see the Prince of the Dark Palace, Rhys. The prince had obviously had been awoken judging by the messy hair and the simple clothes. "What the hell are you doing up here?" Rhys asked.

"Thinking about stars," Cas answered watching as the prince lowered himself to sit on the stones next to him.

"Stars?" Rhys asked with an eyebrow raised.

"They have them in the human dimension," Cas explained. He turned to see Rhys still looked confused so he said, "They glow when it's nighttime in the sky."

"Every night?" Rhys asked.

"Yep. Except when it's cloudy. Then you can't see them," Cas said.

"Are they...what did you call it...election?"

"Electric?" Cas corrected.

"Yeah that," Rhys said.

"No." Cas smiled. Here in the dark dimensions there was no electricity or stars. There wasn't a lot of things. Cas almost hated coming back. Except for the fact that he could see Rhys when he did.

"Stars are in space, which I explained yesterday. They're huge balls of gas that continually burn. They're so bright you can see them on Earth. Sometimes they make shapes. We call them constellations," Cas said.

Rhys let out a long sigh and stared up. "Why don't we get to have those?" He asked sounding a little sad.

"I don't know Rhys," Cas said simply. He leaned back on his elbows. "I wish you could see them."

Rhys sighed again, longer this time. "You know I never will."

"I could bring back a photograph," Cas said.

"A what?"

"Nevermind."

Rhys let out a frustrated groan. "You know all these stupid things from other worlds while I just have to sit here and rule the damn kingdom. Which by the way, I don't even do half of the time because my mom is still technically Queen. I don't see why I can't go just once."

"Because you're the Pri-"

"Shut the hell up," Rhys snapped interrupting Caspian mid-sentence. "I don't need anyone else telling me what I am. Frankly it's annoying. Rhys you can't do that you're the prince what if something happens to you. I don't know figure it out." Rhys ranted.

Caspian let the corner of his mouth quirk up as Rhys continued to complain about how he never got to experience anything of interest. When he finally got quiet Cas asked him, "How are your lessons?"

"Fine," Answered the prince. "Shadow manipulation is a breeze, I can almost do the whole spirit communication thing. I can do rituals and summonings easily. I don't see why I can't learn to Travel like you."

The answer to why Rhys couldn't learn to Travel was because it was a very dangerous skill to learn unless you had a specific knack for it like Caspian had. And of course, absolutely no harm could come to Prince Rhys of the Darkness the only true heir. Rhys hated his title.

Caspian had been the son of the king's  advisor. Both the king and Caspian's father passed away when both Cas and Rhys were very young. The Queen took over and made Caspian the Traveller of the palace. He delivered messages to other dimensions and dealt with outside issues that The Queen didn't want to deal with.

"You know why Rhys," Cas said.

Rhys nodded and for once had nothing to say. He knew the dangers of Traveling alone. You could end up in two dimensions at once. You could lose half of yourself. It wasn't an easy job. Of course if you were to Travel with someone trained the risk was somewhat minimal.

"You should take me one day," Rhys said.

"Your mother would kill me," Cas replied.

"She wouldn't have to know," The Prince insisted.

"She would know," Cas stated.

"I don't want to live like this," Rhys said.

"Just be thankful your mother hasn't  tried to marry you off yet." Cas laughed a little.

"I told her if she tried I would marry you behind her back and run away with you." Rhys was laughing as well.

"Oh? And how did she feel about that?" Cas asked.

"She said I could at least have the decency to invite her to the wedding."

Cas laughed again, sitting up. "I have to go to bed. I have to deliver a message early in the morning."

Rhys nodded. "I'll walk you to your room." Cas nodded as well and stood up. Rhys followed him down the long elegant hallways until he reached his room which was a few doors down from the Prince's.

"Goodnight, Cas," Rhys called as he walked to his room.

"Goodnight."