Prologue

I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, the wind tickling my cheeks. London looked so fresh at this time of year; the trees a mint-green, and the sky...

Okay, I take that back.

But it was May Day, and the sun occasionally decided to peer through the grey clouds with a smile on its face, warming the vibrant colours of the fair. The air smelled of greased hot dogs, sickly-pink candy floss and the bustle of a crowd. I closed my eyes for a moment, listening to the tinkle of fair music, the buzzing mumble of conversation and the gentle strumming of a busker's chords in the distance. I allowed a small, private smile to spread across my cheeks for a snapshot of time.

"Bry!" I turned as someone called my name. My sister, Ebony, strolled up behind me, her long curls swaying in the London breeze. "I'm so done. Can we go?"

I pretended to think for a moment, my fingers brushing my chin. "Mm... No."

"Urgh!" Ebony collapsed onto the bench next to me, her shoulders slumping forwards and her bottom lip jutting out in front of her.

"Gee, don't sound too enthusiastic," I muttered under my breath. Her elbow jabbed into my side, causing me to yelp in surprise. "What was that for?"

Ebony raised an eyebrow. I just rolled my eyes, brushing her off like the 11 year-old that she is.

After a minute of sitting and contemplating my surroundings, I stood and started to wander around the fair. My mind drifted from the rides, and as did my footsteps, and I soon found myself stood in front of a few young boys busking on the pavement. A guitar case lay open in front of them with a few coppers glinting inside. A small sign was propped up next to them, reading:

Hey! We're 5 Seconds of Summer! Like us on Facebook (5 seconds of summer) and follow us on Twitter(@ 5sos). Our EP Somewhere New is out now! Lots of love, Ash, Luke, Michael and Calum.

Three of the boys were playing acoustic guitars (the type that makes my my heart miss a beat), and one of them was sat, a box between his legs, which he was playing with his hands (I've always been into drummers). One of them, with blonde hair sweeped across his forehead, gave me a shy grin. I smiled back. They seemed so... carefree and easygoing.

I began to study them each in turn, from their gelled hair to their boyish flannels. They didn't seem to be much older than me, if at all.

As I stood there watching them, they play a few songs, some by Blink-182, Bruno Mars and others that I didn't recognise at all, but I definitely liked. It doesn't take me long to decide that I am completely infatuated with their style, and am dropping a few coins into the guitar case. The drummer flashed a genuine smile at me grinned a sweet "thank you!" At me as I walked back to the fair.

They're cute. I like them.

It took me a surprisingly long time to find Ebony, but I find her by the hook-a-duck, enthusiastically leaning over the edge of the child's paddling pool furiously swiping at the rubber ducks. A small smile raced across my face, before I sneak up behind her, grabbing her sides and shouting "BOO!" In her hear. She immediately jumped, almost dropping the duck she had just hooked, but I was too busy laughing to care.

"Don't laugh," she whined, her cheeks flaring bright red.

"Aww," I cooed, grabbing her warm cheeks in my palms, "is wittle Ebony embawassed?"

"Shut up." She groaned, smacking my hands away. I looked over my shoulder, and sure enough, there was a young boy who looked... like... twelve watching us.

I coughed awkwardly, and took Ebony's arm. "C'mon Ebony! Time to go!" I quickly dragged her away from the conversation, leaving her prized duck behind.