Track Eight - Heartbreak Girl

"Hello?"

"Luke? Hey. Where are you?" I roughly wiped away my tears with the sleeves of my hoodie.

"I'm, uh, at the studi- wait, Bry are you crying? Ohmygoshwhatdidhedo!" I could imagine Luke on the other end of the phone running a hand through his hair and chewing on his bottom lip.

I sniffed and inhaled deeply. "He cheated on me, Luke. And I thought he really loved me. What did I do wrong?"

"What? Bry, you've done nothing wrong. Mikey's just an idiot who doesn't know how to take care of precious things. Where are you?"

I collapsed onto the leather sofa in my makeshift lounge. "In my flat."

I heard a lot of shuffling and a car drive by on Luke's end of the phone. "I'm coming over."

I smiled gratefully, even though he couldn't see it. "Thanks, Luke. It means a lot."

He chuckled. "Anything for y - er, do you want me to get some food on the way over?"

I picked at the seams in my jeans and chewed my lip. "Ben and Jerry's? And anything you want; I'll pay for it." He started to protest, but I cut him off. "It's my Ben and Jerry's. Plus, you can't stop me from being a good friend, right?"

He sighed, and I swear I heard a small laugh. "Alright. But only this once."

"See you in a few minutes. Bye!" I hung up and trudged through to my room, flinging open my wardrobe door and hunting out the most comfortable clothes that I owned. This also turned out to be my couch potato combo: Jack Wills sweats and my oldest and dearest hoodie that was perfect for snuggling into. I removed my makeup and took my time brushing my hair into a not-so-messy bun.

I was about to drop my duvet onto my couch when there was a timid knock on the door. "Come in! The door's open!"

Michael walked into my apartment.

My jaw dropped. The nerve. "Get. Out."

"No, Bry-"

"I don't care about what you want, I'm not coming back. It took you long enough to make us official, but we didn't even last that long," I spat disdainfully, "and it doesn't take long to break someone's heart." My voice broke and I wiped my shaky fingers under my eyes, willing myself not to cry. Unfortunately, it wasn't working.

"Michael?"

Luke stepped through the open door with a Tesco bag on his arm. "Michael, you shouldn't be here. Get out, she's done with you."

Michael sniffed and turned, fixing his bloodshot eyes on me. "Oh, I see how it is. You've already moved on. With my best. Friend. Really classy." He abruptly turned and strode out of the door.

"Maybe it's not a bad thing for me to have guy-friends, Michael," I shouted after him. I rubbed my aching face with my hands. "Maybe you should try it, someday." I muttered under my breath.

"You doing okay?" Luke placed the Tesco bag on the sofa, before jumping on next to me, and putting a supportive arm around my shaking shoulders. He pulled me into his chest, and I cried. I cried for my broken heart, I cried for showing weakness when I wanted to be strong, and I cried because once I started, I couldn't stop.

Luke brushed some stray hairs off my cheek and traced words and letters onto my back with his fingers.

Minutes passed, and Luke didn't move. I was still curled into a broken ball on his shoulder, but my breathing was less ragged and my cheeks were slowly drying. The tall Aussie was still writing on my back, so I started to work out what he was scribbling.