Chapter Forty Eight

December 30

"I don't wanna do this." I complain to Kaylin who came over earlier this morning to surprise me. Nat and the others, yes including Austin, will be coming over later. Austin doesn't know I'm here and thinks that Kaylin and Nat just wanted to swim in outdoor pools here. But Nat made sure it was okay with EVERYONE to bring Austin along and everyone said it was okay. Even Chandler. I'm not ready to face Austin. I've not spoken to him since that night he texted me. 

"Poppy, you gots too."

"I don't know if I'm comfortable being in front of Austin and Chandler in a swimsuit." 

"So you're saying you wanna go down there fully clothed and jump into that pool?"

"No oh my gosh." 

She grins and shrugs, turning back around to put her hair in a ponytail. We're going to the pools. They're heated so we can actually swim in them. 

I examine myself in the mirror before putting on a swimsuit coverup. I don't really want to get in the water but whatever happens I guess.

Kaylin finishes getting ready and we walk into the hallway. Elliot and Karson and Grayson must already be down there. Chandler smiles at me. "Keep your eyes above the neck sir." Kaylin smacks his arm even though I'm wearing my swimsuit coverup. Chandler rubs his arm gingerly but smiles. "Of course."

Kaylin rolls her eyes and starts walking to the elevator with Chandler and I following. 

The ride down was silent other than the cheesy elevator music that was playing. 

As soon as it dings open Chandler grabs my hand. Reason number 234189413 why I'm dreading going outside and seeing Austin. 

"THE PARTY HAS ARRIVED." Kaylin yells as we enter the pool area causing a couple of people that weren't our friends to turn around and glare. Austin's eyes go wide. No way am I undressing out of my coverup now. 

Chandler leads me over to a chair next to my brother. Only been in California like 3 days and I'm already ready to go home.

Kaylin sits on the edge of the lawn chair next to me and motions for Chandler to leave. He goes to protest but Kaylin cuts him a sharp look so he leaves. "Do you really like him?" She asks and I shrug. "I guess I mean I'm not saying we're going to get married or anything but of course I like him." 

"What about Austin?" I glance over at him to see him on his phone. 

"I don't-"

"He and Grace broke up. He's available." 

I roll my eyes. "Kaylin I get what you're trying to do. You don't think I'm happy with Chandler and that he'll hurt me but Austin isn't a saint either." 

"Poppy I just don't want to see you hurt again." 

I look over at Chandler, who's talking to a fan over in line for the slide, I twirl the necklace in my hand and sigh. 

Kaylin looks over at him to and narrows her eyes which then widen. "Pops that ain't a fan." Then she turns back to me. "Where are your glasses oh my gosh. That's Brianna."

My heart sinks a little. Chandler wouldn't leave me for her would he? He didn't before but then again he's kissed Syd.

I force a smile. "I'm sure it's just a coincidence."

"Or he called her up and asked her to come." 

I groan. "Kaylin." 

She throws her hands up in defense. "Whatever just be careful."

After five minutes of burning up  I finally take my cover up off and lay back on the lawn chair with Kaylin on the one next to me. 

Chandler and Brianna walk over. "Look who I found." Chandler says with a smile. Kaylin doesn't look. I force a smile. "Brianna, hi." She waves. 

I raise up off the seat. "How have you been?" 

"Great, FSU is amazing." She grins. I nod. 

Brianna smiles over at Kaylin who returns it. If I didn't know any better I'd think Kaylin would have called her to come.

Why would I think that? Kaylin is my best friend. She would never do that to me. 

~

For the rest of the day Kaylin, Brianna and I talked. Turns out she came to go to the  amazing firework show tomorrow at Disneyland with her sister and friends. Which is where we're going tomorrow too. 

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about but I don't know anymore.

--

THIS CHAPTER SUCKS I'M SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG I'VE BEEN PROCRASTINATING

I was reading the Outsiders (ow my heart) 

and dress shopping bc the formal

but there's only like 6 more chapters left of this book omg

anywho ily and have a nice day