Chapter 49 - [Beauty and Letting it Out]

I didn't end up getting a chance to spill out my heart to Aurora that night. She encouraged me to cry it all out first and in the process of doing so I found myself falling asleep thanks to her warm hug, Neferkitti's soft fur, and the comfort of my bed.

When I woke up the next morning, I was really happy to see Ro fast asleep next to me on my bed. It was nice to not feel alone and at least I knew now that I could tell it all to her. I could finally let it all out.

So I got up and brushed my teeth and cleaned myself up but as I stepped out of the bathroom, I heard rattling in my kitchen.

At first I thought it might have been Alec, since I didn't see why he wouldn't come over since Ro was here. But when I walked into the kitchen, I smiled, happy to see Aunty Maya.

She looked at me with exhausted, yet happy eyes. "Good morning, princess. I made you and Ro breakfast."

"Hey," I walked into her arms and hugged her.

She kissed my forehead and lifted my chin up for me to look at her before pushing my hair out of my face. "Look at your eyes, they're swollen."

I smiled, "I'm better now."

She pulled away from our hug and leaned against the counter, looking at me. "Honey... I need you to tell me what's going on," she said.

I nodded.

"Don't think I forgot that whole thing that happened four years ago... where you were running around looking for an Atem... and the fact that you avoid conversations about Akhenatem, and the fact that you cried when you found out about his tomb, and the fact that you didn't read my book–"

She looked happy when I said that, but she went back to speaking seriously. "May, I know something is going on and I need you to explain. I'm really worried."

I looked back at her for a bit and then sighed.

"Hey, May," I heard Ro call from behind me.

When I turned around, I saw the sleepy Ro walking towards the washroom.

"Can I steal a toothbrush?"

I chuckled. "I have a pack of new toothbrushes under the sink."

She gave me a salute before heading into the washroom. "Hey Aunty Maya."

Aunty Maya returned the salute with a funny grin.

When I looked back at her, I smiled. "Ro told me you sent her. Thanks... I kinda needed her last night."

She smiled back at me, "so are you going to tell me?"

I nodded. "I need to."

She looked relieved.

Once Ro came out of the bathroom, we all ate breakfast together before I was dragged to the couches to finally let it all out.

Both Aunty Maya and Ro looked at me with all of their attention and I sighed.

This was it.

"So... I don't even know how to start but... about seven years ago, Aunty Maya... you died."

Her eyebrows rose, "what?"

I rubbed my head, realizing that was not a good place to start... but I had no choice now.

"You were killed in a car accident, by a drunk driver. It wasn't fair but you died nonetheless. And right before you died you gave me your Ankh necklace."