Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I grabbed my bag and headed for Claire's front door.

Since Dylan was gone, I had to call my parents for a ride. They didn't seem to mind since my mother was overly ecstatic about Dylan's newly found mate.

I tried my best not to think of what Claire had told me, but it kept resurfacing in my thoughts.

She had no idea he was my mate, would she think that it would change anything? Would she care? Could he have changed? If he hasn't, would he, for me?

My wolf was itching to confront Zane but I couldn't, he was gone and I had no idea where he went.

But another part of me-- the strongest part-- didn't care. I had been hurt before, why would I set myself up for that. I have to be careful. Zane is only going to hurt us.

I told myself I never wanted to see him again but even thinking that, felt off.

I sighed deeply and put my heavy head into my welcoming palms.

"One day at a time." I whispered to myself, as I had done a million different times.

A car honked and I shot up, grabbing my light brown, leather bag. My dads face seemed distracted as I entered the back seat, not wanting to test my still intact shield.

He took off and still hadn't spoken, much less greeted me.

"What's wrong Dad?" I spoke up after a couple seconds of silence.

His features seemed to sag as he stopped at a red light. "It was only yesterday you all were taking your first steps..." He seemed to tell himself as his voice was barely audible. "Now you guys are finding your mates." He put his hand down against the wheel and sat there.

It was then, staring blankly at the back of my fathers head that I was struck with the sight of a gray fleck. At first, it was only a couple visible because of the lighting, but now, I counted dozens and dozens. All making homes and taking tabs on years of his hardships.

My stomach clenched in aching for my father. I tried my best to control the urge to hug him so I wouldn't remind him of my shield.

"Everything will be okay Daddy." I said softly.

He looked back at me slowly. Giving me a smile, I read what his lips did not speak.

"I love you." I spoke before he could open his mouth.

"I love you too, Bug." He said and we made our way home.

Opening the door I smelt a familiar aroma of garlic bread, which made my stomach growl.

"The lasagna looks delicious Mrs. West." I heard a familiar voice that made me stop in my tracks.

"Honey, we're home!" My dad called out, already walking in the kitchen to greet my mom.

"Oh good, can you set the table for me?" She asked.

"Oh," there was that voice again, why was she here? "Does that mean Madison is here?"

"Yeah," I heard my brother answer lovingly. "Madison, come here."

I tiptoed slowly over to my brothers voice, still not believing I was hearing this voice.

Swinging open the door I saw what my brain had tried not to.

With my brothers tan arm wrapped around her waist and leaning against my kitchen counter, was none other than Olive.

"Madison," My brother was moving towards me, but I was frozen in place. "This is Olive, my mate."

At the sound of the word mate, I snapped out of it. "Yeah, I know, we're friends." I said almost hopefully.