Chapter 5

I have a banging headache as I wake up. Probably the aftermath of the shit they pumped into my veins. Christ, did they really need to do that? Really uncalled for if you ask me. She had it coming, after all. Thinking she can talk to me about Glen in that way. No one talks to me like that.

I try to sit up, but I realise that I already am. And that I can't actually move. What the fuck? I open my eyes to see that my arms have been strapped to some kind of weird mechanical device. What the fuck?!

I try to scream, but soon discover a muzzle that covers my mouth. What have they done to me?! Surely this is against some kind of law? You can't be allowed to do this shit to people!

I thrash wildly, determined to get out of this torture device these sick bastards have connected to. But no matter how hard I try, I can't get loose.

I'm probably going to die here. That was their plan all along. Build me up and kill me off, after I've made enough trouble that it would be easy to assume I killed myself. My God, what will they stoop to?

I hear a door opening and glare in front of me. That bitch is back. The hatred that courses through my veins is overwhelming and I try to launch myself towards her. But, unsurprisingly, I don't move an inch. She takes a few steps towards me and kneels down, bringing herself to my level. I can see the marks I left on her neck. I've never been so proud of anything in my life.

“You need to calm down. The more you fight, the worse it's going to be for you. We don't want to hurt you, and we don't want you to hurt anyone else. So until you calm down, you're going to stay here.”

I growl fiercely at her. She has no right to speak to me like that. I'm not a fucking child.

“You need to face whatever it is that triggers this anger of yours. There seems to be something that sets you off. You think of this one thing, you turn into someone completely different. I know we haven't spoken very much at all, but I talk to other people. And I've been having the same reports over and over again. There's one thing that tends to set it off. Maybe not on your 'good days' as you call them. But the majority of the time, this thing ticks you over and you lose it. D'you have any idea what this thing might be, Danny?”

I don't react. I don't want to answer. I don't want her to figure me out. I don't care what I said before. I don't want anyone in my head.

“Danny. Answer me. I'm not leaving until you do. Do you know what it is that sets you off?”

I hear the rumble of anger in my chest. The seething malice for her is growing stronger and stronger.

Do you know?

I shake my head ferociously and I see her relax slightly.

“That's a start, Danny. I hope you realise that.” She stands up, and the roles earlier today have totally been reversed. “But I think I can help you. I think I've worked out what that thing is.”

She walks towards the door, and I pray that it's the end. That she's just going to leave me alone. But she turns back towards me just before she leaves.

“It's time for you to face your demons, Danny O'Donoghue.” And then she's gone.

My heart is racing. What the hell does that mean? My demons? I thought it was me that's the demon....

The door opens again and I lock my eyes onto it. She's coming back. Christ Almighty woman, leave me the fuck...

Glen slowly makes his way into the room, and I swear my heart stops beating. I can feel my eyes bulging in their sockets, and if this muzzle didn't restrict me, I know my jaw would have dropped to the floor. Why is he here? After what I did to him, how can he face me again?