Chapter 46

My eyes open and I shake my head violently around. The flashback I had last night was horrible. This is why somebody needs to start a revolution against Sara and this poor excuse of a country. I hear a noise. It sounds like someone is out hunting early. Wrong move if I have anything to say about it. I stand up on my feet and take out a sharp, curved bladed knife. I step over Cato’s sleeping body and deeper into the dark forest. I then see something flying at my head. I drop to the ground and I hear a loud thud.

I turn my body around and see an arrow stuck in a tree. I take the curved knife and heave it in the direction of the arrow. I hear a muffed scream of pain but no cannon blast. I take out another knife and walk closer to the muffled screams. That’s when I see them. The teenage female, blond hair with a mace strapped to her back. The dark haired, young adult male holding his shoulder where my knife sticks out and his bow on the ground.

“Prim!?!” I yell and her attention turns to me. I feel horrible because I just injured an ally. I walk over to where their standing and I get angry really quick.

“Dude, what the hell! You’re lucky that you not dead!!” I yell just loudly enough that he can hear me. He shrugs and that’s when I feel a pair of hands on my shoulders. I turn around and see Cato, Johanna, Janey, Finnick, and Annie.

I walk over to Gale and slowly pull the knife out of his shoulder. Prim attends to his wounds as I walk over to Cato. He places his hands on my shoulders. I smile at him and he plants a kiss on my cheek. I cross my arms and look at him.

“really Cato? That’s all I get? Come on sweetheart.” I say trying to urge him to kiss me on the lips. It never occurred to me that in the first games, I didn’t think I needed him to live my live. I now realize that he is my lifeline. He is my boy. He is mine forever.

He smiles and caresses my face with his hands. I smile and he presses his lips to mine. We engage in a fiery kiss that makes my insides boil. We both separate at the same time. I smile and we head back over to our allies.

“Back with us lovebirds?” Johanna says. I can’t help but laugh along with her. Prim has managed to stop the blood flow coming from Gale’s shoulder. I help him to his feet and he pats me on the head. Cato glares at him with a death stare that could kill.

Gale backs off, the terror obviously in his eyes. He knows that Cato will tear him limb from limb if he lays a hand on me. He backs off and I see the blue amulets. I walk up to Prim and give her a hug. She smiles and then a laugh gets my attention.

I turn around on a swivel and see the female tribute from district 6. I think her name is Ashby Roxen. She stares at me with a death glare that could kill if she has powers. I give my approval by smirking and she walks a step towards me.

“well, well, well. Isn’t this little group nice? The overhyped beast from 2, the crazed young victor from 7, the fluke victor from 7, girl on fire’s little sister, the seam idiot, the young hot one from 4, and the metal patient from 4, and finally the girl who got knocked up when she was 16 from 2. Man, having a kid that young. Probably the dumbest kid in all of Panem.”

I lose all control to calm myself down. I take a curved blade and fire it her way. It connects with her knee and she loses her balance and falls to the forest floor. I approach her and punch her in the face over and over again. Her eyes are beginning to shut due to swelling. I then take the knife that is lodged in her knee and I rip it out with force and drag it along her leg. She screams out in agony. I then take the bloody knife and jab it into her right eye.

“Don’t you ever talk about my family ever again!” I yell at the top of my lungs. It’s not like I’m giving her chance to. I take out a small sharp blade and twirl it in my fingers. I jab it in her other eye making her completely blind. I then forcefully rip them out and she screams out in pain. Her body goes limp a few minutes after and a cannon blast echoes through the arena.

I clean my knives off and put them back in my vest. I slowly make my way back over to Cato and the rest of my allies. He puts his arms around me and I smile.

“That my friends, is what happens when you insult my family. “ I snap before Cato pecks me on the cheek. We walk on towards the campground. I take a seat next to Cato and he whispers in my ear.

“hey, we need some food. Let’s go hunting.” He whispers. I nod my head and we slowly walk away from the group. We walk deeper into the forest and see the huge volcano.

“God, that thing is huge. Hopefully that doesn’t go off anytime soon.” Cato says. I smile at the sound of his concerned voice. This man would give his life for me and the kids. I love him for being a great husband and Dad.

We then see another tribute comes into focus. It’s the boy from 9. I look at Cato and nod. He gets what I want; Kill the boy with a sword. I watch him as he carefully approaches the boy. He then drives the sword into the back of the boy. He screams in agony. His body goes limp and another cannon blast echoes through the arena.

I smile at Cato and he walks back to me. He presses his lips to mine and I smile. He knocks me down to the ground. I giggle and he pulls away. He pecks me on the nose and helps me up.

“Alright Rette, let’s go get some food.” He says using my childhood nickname he gave me years ago. I intertwine my fingers with his and we walk back to camp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clove’s nickname at the end of the chapter was my friend’s idea. @ReeseC13. Go Fan her now, she’s an incredible writer. Anyway, hope you like the chapter.