Chapter Fourteen

So the couple walked happily together, gripping onto each other's hands; Thomas recalling how soft and gentle Newt's hands were.

"Hey Tommy?" started Newt as the couple walked across the small bridge above the silver stream.

"Yes?" said the younger fellow curiously.

"About earlier, when I said that I went to the park... I guess I should tell you what really happened."

Thomas gave an uneasy chuckle, but nodded, urging Newt to continue.

"So apparently Alby decided to tell me something, but the thing is that he doesn't want me to tell you what he told me," stated the blonde. "But I feel like I would betray your trust if I didn't tell you, just promise me you won't tell him that I told you, please?" begged Newt.

Thomas gulped, hoping that his boyfriend didn't notice how nervous he had become, and how sweaty his hands were. "Of course I won't," he finally replied, staring down at the dewy grass.

The blonde sighed, and shut his eyes for a few seconds, before speaking grimly, "We had fun, of course, just two great friends who hadn't had a good time together for a while, you know? We went to get ice cream, and watched the younger children swing, when Alby said something that rather surprised me-" he then stopped for a second, to see if Thomas would interrupt, but as he didn't, he continued, "Alby told me, and I quote, 'I would love to have a child someday, maybe one day we can adopt one together.'"

Thomas fidgeted slightly, but didn't say anything. In all honesty, he wasn't too surprised, and he didn't want Newt to feel bad after all.

"Tommy?" squeaked Newt. "I- I don't feel the same way about him, and I don't want you to be upset or anything... I'm sorry, please don't hurt me."

The younger boy gasped. "Newt, sweetie, why would I hurt you? I'm not angry, I already knew that he liked you, it's not your fault."

At this point Newt was starting to cry, suddenly reminded of a darker part of his past.

"Newt?!" Thomas exclaimed. "What's wrong?!"

"My dad used to hurt me," was all Newt said, staring hopelessly at the ground.

Recognition came to Thomas, he suddenly remembered that the last time he saw his boyfriend in a desperate mess, it was when he mentioned his sister, who had also been abused by Newt's father, and had been taken away from both him and his mother by Newt's damned dad. But Newt had always seemed so happy otherwise, he felt awful for assuming he was always happy after his sister and dad left, when he obviously wasn't.

"Awe, Newt, it's ok, he's gone now."

Unfortunately, his statement made Newt cry even more, now making Thomas cry as well. It broke his heart to see Newt like this.

"You hate me, don't you?" Newt said quietly.

"What? Newt, that's not true at all, why would you say that?"

"Alby kissed me, ok? I don't like him for in that way, but I ran away, and I know that you hate me now, and want to break up with me."

"Newt, I know it's not your fault, or Alby's either. You are the most beautiful boy I've ever met, whether you believe me or not, it's true," said Thomas.

"Tommy... You don't need to lie to protect me, you can't love a broken boy."

At this point the two boys were laying side by side on the grass, still holding onto each other.

"Newt, please listen to me, I know that you've had difficult hardships in the past, and that maybe I'm the tiniest bit jealous of Alby, but that doesn't mean I don't care about you, ok? You can't stop me from loving you. You're sweet, kind, and funny, and I can't imagine my life without your gorgeous personality. You've made me happy, and that's all that matters to me. I do love you, just because you don't love yourself doesn't mean someone else can't love you. You should've told me you were depressed sooner, I would've helped you."