Chapter 4 - Last Gathering

That evening there was a gentle snowfall coming down from the mountains. I stood by the window watching it as I brushed my hair. It was beautiful and I looked at it as if I had never seen snow before in all my life. The ground was soon covered with a very thin white blanket, almost like wool on a sheep that had been shaved and spread all around the village.

I put on my favorite dress: a white silk one with a lace V-neck, short puffy sleeves and shin length skirt. It also came with a long fluffy white shawl made from Arctic wolf fur. I always saved it for formal occasions, but it felt like years since the last time I got to wear it. I smiled in front of the mirror. Life is starting to get better here, I can feel it, I thought as I put on my black winter boots and headed out the door.

The sky was a light grey and there was a small chink of sunlight peeking through the clouds. I remembered this morning it was warmer with a clear sky, but now the temperature had dropped abruptly, with the clouds coming in and bringing snow. It was cool but not freezing. The village was so quiet at this hour, and I wondered if that was because everyone had gone inside to have dinner, or they were afraid the Huns were really coming. The Imperial soldiers were nowhere to be found as I walked down the path. It made me think that they had bailed at the last minute without telling anyone, or they had taken shelter from the weather just in case it got worse.

I decided not to worry too much. Meiying's house was closer to the village's main entrance. On the horizon I saw a red blaze emerging from the grey sky as I walked down the path. Dusk was upon us, it was the prettiest sight I had seen since my first day in China.

The slope ended in the central statue and I walked along the flat land to Meiying's house. Nobody had been acting the same since the soldiers arrived, it was as if they had no faith in them, and I wondered if it was normal for everyone to return indoors at sunset.

Meiying's house came into view. It was slightly larger than my own and the walls were whitewashed. I knocked on the wooden door and waited shyly. I heard several voices from inside belonging to children and adults. Had she invited all of the townsfolk over to her place? She certainly was popular. I began to worry if they would like me or not. Carl always said that you never needed to have everyone like you, but what you would like to have is respect.

It was Meiying who answered the door after a minute had passed, she was wearing another dress only this time it was white with a pink floral pattern. She had let her hair down and curled it; I thought it looked better that way.

"Why Emily, you look beautiful! Welcome, I'm so happy you could join us,"

"Thank you," I said, looking inside, "you've got quite the gathering in there,"

"Yes, but it isn't popularity that I seek Emily. My husband and I have been living here for a long time. There are people who come and go, but those who stay remember us. I hope you don't mind that it's not just us,"

"No, no of course not," I was not used to group meals however; Carl and I would eat together, just the two of us, when I was a child. We never got involved in big social events as we traveled, but I was willing to try something new.

"Where is that man Carl you traveled here with?" Meiying asked,

"Oh, he couldn't come, he's got things to do," I replied.

"Did you bring any rice to share?"

I fell silent. She never told me that I was supposed to bring something to share with the other guests, and when I did not respond, she spoke again.

"You know how half the rice you harvest you sell at the market and the other half you keep? Well, when you have guests over, or you are a guest elsewhere, you bring your share of rice with you,"