Chapter 12 - Loyalty

Night fell upon the campsite and everything was quiet. Nothing stirred except the sound of the wind blowing in the trees. I sat against the post with the collar still tied to it and my hands bound together.

Hours earlier, I had overheard Shan Yu, Yong Ro, and a few others talking about the battle plan in the tent across from mine. They seemed confident despite my suggestion to improve their battle strategy. Then Shan Yu had returned and tied my hands together claiming he knew I was thinking of prying the collar's buckle loose while he was out. He stared deep into my eyes promising I would be fucked if I tried to escape, even if I put one foot outside the tent.

It had only been a few minutes since the galloping sound of he and his men riding down towards the village, had faded into the night. I thought about all the people down there; they would not know what was about to hit them.

At the same time, I felt devastated for the residents. They were living their carefree lives, with hopefully the Imperials under guard, and I could do nothing to warn them.

The tent was left pitch black when Shan Yu and his men left. He never bothered to light a single candle nor did I know who he left in charge of the camp while absent. I hoped it would not be Chi Zhong; he would try anything without his leader around.

Should I try to escape? A gentle gust blew outside and the tent's open flap swayed like curtains by an open window. I felt like the world beyond the tent was calling to me; like a whispering voice in the night calling: Run away Emily, run and be free. You don't belong here; he won't be gone forever, so hurry and escape while you still can!

The wind whistled in the night and I could still hear it haunting me, I wanted to run but I couldn't. No! I want to but I can't! If I run he will find out right away and send his entire army to hunt me down, and once he finds me, he'll rape me so hard that all of China will hear me screaming. He even said that himself! I can't do it! He will never stop looking for me. Tears ran down my cheeks as I slid down against the post, tucked my legs against my body, and rested my head on top. I want to run, but I can't, I have to stay. I have to stay loyal; if I go against it he will no doubt overpower me and there is no one else who can help me, even if I run I will have nowhere to go. It's the fear that makes me stay, and I don't think I'll ever overcome it.

Time passed and I shut my eyes imagining the village under attack: Late at night, everyone would retire and the Imperial soldiers would have the impression that the Huns would never strike, so they would sleep too. The Huns would sneak into the village and hide while perhaps Xu Ling and the other archers would snipe a few soldiers until they got suspicious. Then they would ambush; The Huns would pop out of their hiding spots and set the houses on fire. The civilians would flee their homes in terror and be slaughtered. Even if the Imperial soldiers attempted to protect the civilians, they would still be outnumbered, fall into Shan Yu's trap and die. If that was what the attack was going like, then victory would be secured. I did not know why, but to me that would have felt great if I was in his place.

"Do you need some light?" A voice was heard interrupting my thoughts.

I quickly looked up and Yong Ro stood in the tent's opening with a torch in his hand. So he was assigned to guard the camp.

"Yong Ro? I thought Shan Yu didn't want anyone else visiting me," I said with uncertainty,

Yong Ro placed his torch in a wicker stand near the entrance.

"Shan Yu does not want anyone to touch you, but I have served him for a long time; he knows I won't do anything to you," He informed me.

I felt relieved but I still questioned his ability to control himself, "What makes you think you're able to resist me?"