Chapter 23 - Raise Your Swords

Time went by and the minutes soon became hours, it was not long before twilight was upon us and the mounted archers had vanished into the depths of the trees leading towards the great city. Shan Yu watched with his eyes focused unable to tell when the attack began. I looked in the same direction as him and could see the pines rustling from down below like the wind had picked up since our arrival.

"How much longer?" I heard someone grunt from behind us, it was one of the Huns and his hoarse voice made it sound like he was burly and had more brawn than brains.

"As soon as we know they are alert to our presence," Shan Yu answered, clutching me against him,

"Boss if you're going to take her with you, she's gonna need to defend herself with something," The same voice answered,

"An reasonable suggestion," Yong Ro replied, "what do you think Shan Yu?"

I listened to this conversation and realized that they may be right after all. Although Shan Yu intended to keep me at his side no matter what happened during the battle, what if we did get separated? If I'm going to face the risk of death, I will meet it with force.

I looked over my shoulder to face Shan Yu who was still pondering his adviser's question, "It seems like a good idea, but I don't have any training. I don't think I could kill a soldier and the Emperor's guards will be heavily armed and skilled,"

Shan Yu finally answered, "You don't need training my love, let alone there was no time for that. I won't let you out of my sight, especially once we breach the palace. But, I suppose Yong Ro's point has been given,"

He let go of me and slid off of his horse turning to Yong Ro who sat mounted alongside us still, "Do we have any spare weapons we can loan to her? Something small perhaps that she can hold,"

Yong Ro dismounted from the other side of his horse, "There aren't many small weapons in our supply but perhaps what we have salvaged from the Imperial soldiers from previous raids will do, she might just be able to grasp a thin blade,"

He walked past Shan Yu, and vanished into the horde of the army where everyone just sat chattering quietly with weapons still in hand. I could barely see what he was up to as Shan Yu kept his back facing me waiting for his adviser's return. I gazed at the city and found myself lost in a daydream of living in the palace; bathing in a golden tub, sitting on a dragon-engraved throne, all the royal parties and festivals should the citizens ever accept us, and making love to my beloved Warlord until half past midnight. Suddenly my fantasy came to a halt when I heard Shan Yu's voice.

"Come here Emily,"

I snapped out of my visions and slid carefully off the horse. I found him overlooking the city with something small in his hands. He turned as I approached and he was holding what appeared to be a small sword in its thin sheath. It looked nothing compared to the thick barbaric blades that he and the other Huns carried around. I took it from him gently; the sword felt rather lightweight embroidered with golden dragons, and a small hemispherical joint between the blade and the hilt, which made me realize that this was definitely stolen from a dead soldier.

Shan Yu watched silently as I unsheathed it and instantly the blade caught the dusk rays peeking beyond the West horizon. It was a thin and medium in length that would perhaps suit someone of my size. I ran my fingers down the blade stopping before I reached the sharp end feeling rather impressed.

"It is a rapier. I found it during our attack on the Great Wall and kept it. Thought it would serve as a reminder of the men I killed to make it this far, but once I found you, I realized someone was in more need of it. Do you like it?" Shan Yu asked,

I glanced at him, "It's well....I don't know much about weapons. It's so thin yet I think it's just right for me,"

He chuckled, "You won't be able to hack a soldier's head off with that, but in the right time and the right place, you should be able to slit his throat,"

I knew nothing about how to do that. Stabbing an enemy in front of me seemed like the first reaction anyone would get if untrained in sword combat. He doesn't expect me to go all out and kill does he? I still don't feel like it is the right thing to do. What if the enemy is disarmed? I wouldn't kill somebody who is vulnerable, ever.

"I don't expect you to be an expert, this is your first fight after all. Once the palace is secured then perhaps we can consider training you, but perhaps more with someone your size," Shan Yu said, interrupting my thoughts.

I sheathed the sword, "Well, I like it and hopefully I never have to use it too much,"

"Let us hope you do not," He said, leaning forward and laid a kiss on my forehead. A flame lit up inside me briefly as it was there.

Hayabusa's screech suddenly echoed loudly as if rising up from the dense path towards the city. Shan Yu immediately turned and saw the falcon down below as a little brown speck that slowly began to blend in with the trees as the sky grew darker.

"It is time," Shan Yu announced and then a horn was sounded following the screech. It was coming from the city's outer walls; They knew we were coming. Whatever Xu Ling and his arches did to ambush them had worked. I thought as he led me back to his horse, hoisted me onto its back, and then climbed up behind me. I took the sword in its sheath and fastened its strap around my waist clutching it like it was the most vital item in the world.

Shan Yu gripped the reins and drew his sword, "WHOEVER STANDS IN OUR WAY, SHOW THEM NO MERCY!" He thundered,

His battle cry was met with the roar of the crowd and the army as all those who had dismounted had mounted once again. All those who withdrawn had drawn their weapons ready and raised them to the sky. All those who had remained silent, now chanted along with him.

"NO MERCY! NO MERCY!"

"WE TAKE WHAT WE CAME FOR!"

The following response consisted of battle cries that I could not recognize, it was perhaps a chant of shouting.

"DO NOT FEAR DEATH MY FRIENDS, FOR WE HAVE COME THIS FAR! TO WAR!!!"

The cries roared louder and all the time I was silent not knowing if it was right to join.

Shan Yu suddenly yanked on the reins with his left hand while his sword pointed to the sky in the other. The horse lurched backward raising its front hooves off the ground forcing me to hold onto the back of its head with my free hand to keep balance.

"THIS IS FOR MY PRIZE!!" Shan Yu cried and as soon as the very mention of me; my name or not I found myself in the spirit of battle no matter how different my morals were from his

"THIS IS FOR MY PRIZE!!" Shan Yu cried and as soon as the very mention of me; my name or not I found myself in the spirit of battle no matter how different my morals were from his. As the other Huns cried out once again, I now drew my sword and rose it, joining them in the chants. Then the horse leaped forward and we were charging down the snowy hill towards the city's nature-filled path and the entire army tailed us ready to battle whatever forces were prepared to take up defense.