Chapter 3

"Well, I have asked for you to be my son's bodyguard." Cindy whipped her eyes toward the king. He wanted her to do what? "Is there a problem?" asked King Carter, his confident demeanor faltering. Cindy was nodding her head but Linda captured the king's attention.

"No problem at all!" Linda said, giving Cindy a warning look. Cindy stopped nodding her head reluctantly. "I just have to give Cindy the tiny details, that's all." Linda continued.

"Oh," the king replied, "well I'll just leave you to it then." He stood up and Linda stiffly bowed. Cindy mimicked her actions. After a month of staying here, Cindy could sense something off about King Carter, but she wasn't sure what it was. King Carter left quickly, opening the door with Priscilla on the other side, who looked very surprised to see him. She quickly bowed, and he nodded in acknowledgement before leaving. Priscilla stampeded her way toward her mother and Cindy. Cindy and Priscilla both looked expectantly at Linda. Linda sighed loudly.

"King Carter wants Cindy to be Dameon's bodyguard," Linda finally said. Priscilla and Cindy didn't like the sound of that. Why was I picked when there were tens of thousands of perfectly trained spies here at the PSA? thought Cindy. Linda continued, "The king has heard that Cindy hasn't lived in Greylyn for too long, so she has the audacity to resist Dameon's... interesting lifestyle." A little to late, Cindy thought. Dameon was on her mind most days, no matter how hard Cindy tried to forget him. Cindy glanced at Priscilla, who was fuming.

"WHAT ABOUT ME!" Priscilla yelled, "Mother, please let me go. I can... I can... help Cindy with the rest of her training." Priscilla's mother looked at her apologetically. Realizing the lost cause with her mother, Priscilla turned to Cindy, "This is all your fault! If you hadn't come here, I would be the one assigned to Dameon!" Priscilla came at Cindy full force, but Linda caught Priscilla.

"Priscilla, I do not accept this type of behavior from anyone including you," Linda said fiercely. Cindy thought she saw Priscilla cower a little. "Besides, this isn't all Cindy is going to do while she's there. She'll be working as a double agent."

"What?" Priscilla and Cindy said at the same time.

"I will talk to you later. Now go back to your classes," said Linda to Priscilla. Priscilla obeyed her mother and left without another word. Linda exhaled once she was sure Priscilla was gone, "I'm sorry about that Cindy."

"It's fine," Cindy muttered, "but I still don't understand what I'm doing."

She sighed. "Your father's gotten some leads of something brewing in the castle." Cindy didn't know what bothered her more: the fact that some plot was coming together at the castle or the fact her dad didn't contact her. Linda, seeing the hurt look on Cindy's face, continued hastily. "He sent an untraceable message to me. He says he misses you." Cindy nodded, but she was still hurt. Cindy's dad usually called her after they've been apart for more than a few weeks. If he couldn't call her or Linda, then Cindy knew something really must be wrong between the people and supernaturals. "Don't worry sweetie, I'm sure he's alright," Linda tried to comfort Cindy. Cindy smiled at Linda's effort, but they had to focus on the task at hand.

"So what do I have to do?"