चार

Dear Daughter,

I know you are anxious to know what happened next, but just keep this one tiny bit of information in your mind: I was not the kind of man I may seem like in the story. I did not like making women uncomfortable.

So, after the wedding, I constantly kept thinking about your lovely mother, and I hoped, rather prayed to see her at least once more. Agreed, she was family now, and I would see her once or twice in future, but that was not enough.

I wanted to see her every morning. I wanted to have my lunch with her. I wanted to be able to share everything I thought with her. I just wanted to be able to look at her freely and whenever I wanted without being threatened.

I slept hard that weekend, for merry dreams came to me. The only thing that kept me awake those couple of days was the fact that college was starting the following Monday!

Monday arrived, and slowly the thoughts of your mother subdued. I didn't think of her as much in that week, as I was completely immersed in my work. After all, I had IIT to get into.

One week later, we were all busy in college with physics class when a girl entered late. The professor was angry at her. One, for shouting and two, for being late. I looked up, and I was frozen in my seat. Imagine my fear when I found out that the girl who came in was indeed your mother!

The professor let her in, and she started walking towards me. I was terrified. Had she seen me staring at her? Was I making it very obvious? Was there something on my face that she was smiling at?

"Is this seat taken?" She queried.

I shook my head and let her sit next to me. Not even ten minutes later, she passed me a note.

I remember you from the wedding, and it is not nice to stare at people.

I didn't know whether to be relieved or terrified; rather, I was both. Relieved that she recognised me, and terrified at her threats. With some conscious effort at improving my handwriting, I sent a note back.

How do you know I was staring at you?

She scrunched up her nose and read the letter. I quickly got a reply.

I saw you staring at me.

Doesn't that mean that you were staring at me too?

I questioned back trying to keep my face straight. She was cute when she was confused.

I will do whatever I want to. Even if it means staring at you.

Even I will do whatever I want to. Don't look at me if you don't like it.

I never said I didn't like it.

With those seven words, fireworks started exploding in my mind. The butterflies in my stomach grew into big elephants, and the small smile I had turned into a full-blown grin.

"Yes, second last bench. What are you smiling at?" called out the professor.

I do not remember what I replied, or what happened after that, but I surely remember that is how my love story started. One day after we reunite, I hope you too tell me your love story; and I hope it is a guy you deserve at an age you can handle.

Always and Forever,

Your Father.

May 18, 1999.