दस

Dear Daughter,
What match was it today? Was it a major cricket match that we won?

You might be wondering why I have this sudden interest in knowing about cricket, but it is just that I saw a burst of colours in the night sky today and I wondered why people were bursting crackers. Also, this is not a sudden interest of mine in cricket.

Back in my days, I was a complete cricket fanatic. With a Kapil Dev jersey adorned, I would roam in the streets claiming to be the next Indian Cricket Team Captain.

When we won the World Cup in 1983, I was extremely proud of our team! It was all I spoke about for months; and your mother too did not ask me to stop.

She and I would constantly talk about cricket, and constantly gush over cricketers. We often had fights over who was a better cricketer among Gavaskar and Dev. She would never, ever agree that Dev was better; but that's probably what she was.

I remember her once randomly coming up to me and telling me that she wanted to marry Gavaskar. I cannot even begin to tell you how bad I felt that night. It was just a celebrity crush of course, but you can't blame a man in love.

I remember when I was a young, seventeen year old lad, and I would diligently watch each and every match. I would put aside all work I had, rather finish it earlier, and sit in front of the common television we had in our street. I would cheer like a lunatic, and celebrate like I myself won the match. Yes, little girl, your father did have a spark of madness within him.

I remember how back then we would burst crackers every time we won a match. Even if it was a simple match which held no relevance, we would still go out on the streets and cheer. Those days when I looked up, I would see my crackers and see my dreams come alive in forms of colours.

As I look up to the sky now and see all the crackers, I am constantly reminded of my responsiblity. It is my duty to protect all those who are bursting crackers, and it is my duty to make sure that this joy goes uninterrupted.

As an army man, I hope I am fulfilling my duties; for I did not fulfil them as a father. Sometimes I wonder how I became responsible, but then again time and experience are wonderful teachers. It is wonderful how the NDA can turn a reckless boy into a mildly responsible man. Don't you think?

Always and Forever,
Your Father.
June 13, 1999.