Chapter 20

I kept walking until I had calmed down and I leaned against the wall of a building. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, going over what had just happened in my mind. That was the worst thing I could've said to Lincoln.

He despised his father for leaving him and Michael and to tell him he was exactly like him was like a punch in the throat. I stayed on the wall for a long time, just thinking.

Even though I regretted saying that, it didn't mean it wasn't true. He did exactly what his dad did to him and his family. I opened my eyes and they immediately narrowed when I spotted someone across the street.

It was a man, who was holding his left hand close to his body, as if he was hurt. Another man came out one of the building's across the street and when he turned to talk to the hurt guy, my jaw dropped open. It was Tweener.

I kept looking and Tweener pointed to something behind the other guy and when he turned around, I saw his face. It was T-bag.

T-bag and Tweener together? That was the last thing I ever expected. Then I realized that they must be here to get the money. And that didn't sit well with me. Telling myself to get over what happened earlier for the time being, I decided to alert Michael and Lincoln.

As I turned the corner and I bumped into something solid and a hand shot out, catching me before I fell.

"Linc." I breathed, noticing he was my knight in shining armor. His face stayed neutral and I swung my eyes to Michael, who was right behind of him. Right at that second, I changed my mind. "Uh-I-I think there's a way we can get to the map, but it might not turn out the way we want."

"Yeah, that helps." Lincoln muttered and I looked up at him, narrowing my eyes.

"Really? That so wasn't called for." He shrugged and I rolled my eyes at his childishness. Whenever he got hurt, he put on this 'don't care' attitude that annoyed the shit out of me. Michael glanced between the two of us and just shook his head.

"So, how we gonna find out where this ranch is anyhow?" Lincoln asked Michael, ignoring me. I folded my arms across my chest and glared at him. Michael looked around, squinting as the glare of the sun hit his eyes.

"I have a way. The county usually keeps a record of the land. But we would have to go in the Municipal building." Lincoln raised his eyebrows.

"Lot of cops in there, Michael." he commented, seeming uncomfortable with Michael's plan. Michael turned around, his blue eyes flashing.

"Then we'll just have to be careful."

* * *

Michael changed into his khaki suit, but kept his blue baseball cap on. I changed into a tank top and shorts and Lincoln kept what he had on and just put on sunglasses.

"You guys ready?" Michael asked, adjusting his tie. I ran my fingers through my hair and pursed my lips.

"As ready as we'll ever be." I commented, pulling my hair into a bun on the top of my head. I left some tendrils out in the back and on the side so it could look a bit messy, but together at the same time.

We walked towards the large building and I started to get nervous. Dealing with cops right after losing my son to the FBI was not something I felt like doing at the moment.

Lincoln walked up the stairs, ahead of me and Michael and he opened the door, just to turn back around quickly. I peeped in and saw that there was a cop standing next to the metal detector.