Chapter 13: Newbie

"I guess I probably should explain." Victor says to both of us, after about 20 minutes of silence. We were both in the backseat of the car.

"Uh yeah. Like for starters, why are we going on this hunt all of a sudden and what are we hunting?" Aidan asked.

"And where have you been rushing off to these last few days?" I add.

"I'll start with the easy question first. We're going to hunt a vampire. Next, it isn't really all of a sudden. You see, I've been planning this hunt for a while now. I've been doing research and tracking down this vamp. That's what I've been rushing off to do. Gathering....information. I didn't want to tell you guys because uh I didn't want you guys to get your hopes up." Victor said. Something was up with the way he was explaining all of this. He wasn't exactly telling the full truth, I could tell. I decided to just drop it for now.

"I also think you both are ready enough for your first hunting trip." Victor added.

"So is this just a random vamp or...?" Aidan said, trailing off.

"I know what you're asking Aidan. And yes, this is one of the vamps that killed your family." Victor replied grimly.

Aidan tensed up beside me and I reached over and put my hand on his arm, he relaxed at my touch.

"Here. This is most of what I gathered on the vamp." Victor says, while passing us a file. I took it and opened it up. Aidan and I began to leaf through the surveillance photos and notes. It was hard to see in the dying sunlight while the car was moving but from what I could make out, the photos showed a man in his early 20's.

We pulled up to a 3-star hotel. Nothing fancy. "According to an atm security camera, he checked into this hotel a few hours ago. He hasn't left yet so he's probably staying the night."

We both got out of the car and followed Victor into the hotel reception area and waited while Victor checked us into a room. Once we were in the room we started unpacking all our surveillance equipment and loading out dart guns with dead mans blood.

"Okay, so the vamp is staying in room 218. I want you guys to pick the lock, go in, load him up with dead mans blood and kill him. He will be alone so it should be an easy task for both of you, as long as you work together. Make sure you keep the noise level down. We don't want any hotel management poking their noses in our business."

Me and Aidan started putting on our headsets which had a mic and camera built into it so that Victor could see what was going on and come to our rescue if anything went wrong.

"I do not want either of you to attempt to kill him until he's down on the ground, filled up with dead mans blood, okay? Its too risky on your first job." Victor said to us sternly.

"Don't worry, we've got this." Aidan said confidently. I nodded.

"Make sure you remember everything I've taught you and if things get too hairy I'll be there in 10 seconds." Victor assured.

"Now test your mics." Victor put on a headset.

"Testing." I said into my mic.

"Aidan is a sexy beast." Aidan said into his. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, I think we're ready to go. Are you guys ready?" Victor looked at both of us.

We nodded.

"Okay, go ahead and good luck. Don't hesitate to kill it, no matter what it says. Don't try talking to it, just kill it immediately."

I take a deep breath and walk out the door with Aidan following behind.

God, I was so nervous. I was actually really scared but I put out a brave front. I saw Aidan was really freaked too but was pretending to be brave for my sake.