Chapter 14: Aidan

I started wrapping up the body in a plastic bag and Aidan tossed in the head. Victor brought in some rags and we mopped up the blood and threw it in the plastic bag too. We carried it out of the room and loaded it in the back of Victors car. He was going to burn it tomorrow, while we were at school.

"Okay, let's go back to the room and pack up all the equipment and then let's get out of here. The sooner the better." Victor said.

Everyone was really silent while we were packing up the equipment and during the drive back home. I guess we had a lot to think about.

For Aidan, being that he just killed one of the vamps that murdered his family. For me, I couldn't help thinking about the way Victor acted and the way the vampire didn't act. He didn't act like someone who would murder innocent people. For Victor...I had no clue what was going on in his mind.

It was past midnight by the time I was ready for bed. Victor had given us the "okay" to skip school tomorrow. I thought I should check on Aidan before I went to bed. It was a really big thing for him, after all.

"Hey." I said, standing at his doorway.

"Hey." He replied with a small smile. He was lying on his bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"How you feeling?"

"Hah. I'm fine, don't worry. This whole thing is just really confusing." He said frowning at the ceiling.

I walked over to the bed and sat next to him, looking down at him.

"It is actually. I mean, the vampire...he just..." I didn't know how to continue.

"Didn't seem like he was the guy we were looking for?" Aidan raised his eyebrows at me.

"Yeah."

"That's what I thought too."

"Then why did you kill him?"

"I don't know. I just felt that someone should pay for...for what happened. And I didn't want Victor to be disappointed in me. I mean, he already told us what to expect. They might lie to us, try to trick us."

"It was weird how Victor snapped at me though." I said.

"Yeah, it was."

"Okay, I need to ask you something." I said, watching Aidan's facial expressions.

"Go ahead."

"Let's just say the vampire earlier wasn't the one we were looking for. Would you still have killed it?"

"You're trying to get my point of view on the whole 'Some vampires are good' thing, aren't you?" He said, looking at me.

"Yeah." I said with a small laugh.

"Well, honestly? I agree with you. Just because there are a lot of evil vampires, it dosen't mean every single one is the same."

I let out a sigh of relief. At least I wasn't the only one. I yawned.

"Okay, so you're sure you're okay?" I asked him again.

"Yeah." He said.

"Okay, well, I'm going to go to bed now." I said while standing up.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me back down on to the bed. He looked up at me.

"Sleep here tonight?" He asked quietly.

Hah. So he wasn't as 'okay' as he said he was. Normally when one of us is feeling uneasy or scared, the other one spends the night in their room. This whole thing started ever since I had that nightmare about my mum the first night I was here and spent the night in his room. I still have occasional nightmares, but less often.

I gave him a small smile and nodded. He got under the covers while I went to switch off the light. I climbed in bed next to him and we just lay there for a while, not saying anything.

Then I broke the silence. "What were they like? Your family, I mean."

"A normal family I guess. My dad was a hunter, he brought my mum into it. Both my mum and dad worked throughout the day, came home at around 9. I had to take care of my younger sister, Anna, most of the time. Make her meals, get her ready for school."

"Were you and your parents close?" I asked.

"As close as any teenager is with their parents. They used to fight a lot though. I think they were going to get a divorce soon. It was Anna I was close to. She used to idolize me, try to be exactly like me." He let out a small laugh.

Then he continued. "I was the protective older brother that would beat up anyone that tried to hurt her. I remember how, when she was just beginning to learn how to ride a bicycle, I was the only one she trusted to stand behind her and catch her if she fell. She didn't even let our parents do that." He said, a faraway tone to his voice.

"That's sweet." I say with a smile.

"Yeah. She used to have these nightmares. In the middle of the night. Kind of how you have them sometimes. Whenever she had them, she'd come running straight to me. I promised her that I'd always be there for her. No matter what, I'd be there to take care of her.......and I didn't keep that promise." There was pain in his voice right now.

I moved closer to him and put my hands around him. He hugged me tightly. "There wasn't anything you could have done." I told him.

"I should have stayed home that night. I shouldn't have gone over to my friends house. Anna didn't want me to go either. But I promised her I'd be back the next day to take her out for ice cream and then I just left. The next day I came back to the house and found their bodies there. Both my mum and dad, lying in pools of blood. Anna's body was missing. Her room was covered in blood. She was so tiny they probably ate her whole." He had tears streaming down his cheek now but he sounded angry at the same time.

I really didn't know what to say. I mean, what could I have said? It's going to be alright? She's in a better place? Because none of those are true. So I just held him, until he calmed down.

"Thanks." He said after a while.

"For what?"

"For just being here. Listening to my sob story." He said with a bitter laugh.

"Hey, I'm just repaying the favour." I say. We were quiet for a while.

"Oh yeah. How about tomorrow we just chill out and do normal teenager stuff? No hunting, no monsters." He said all of a sudden.

"What did you have in mind?" I asked.

"Well, one of the guys on the football team is throwing a party tomorrow night and since Jack's the quarterback, he invited us to go. I wasn't going to go but considering everything that happened today, I think we need a break." He said.

"I have to agree with you there."

"So what do you think?" He asked.

"I think it sounds like a plan." I said with a smile. It'd be nice to just go hang out as normal teenagers. This whole hunting gig is really stressful.