Chapter 11

I got down the airplane at exactly one in the afternoon and my stomach is growling... again. The very first place I went was the pizzeria near my house and I smelled wine, coffee, bread and pasta. It's the smell I missed while I was in New York.

"Bonjour!" the waiter greeted me as I went in the restaurant. They already know me for I always go here every Saturday night.

As usual, I ordered a solo pepperoni pizza, pasta, iced tea and cream puffs. I sat outside because it's been a month since I last saw small buildings, which looked like old houses, bricked streets, flowers on every window, and random people who greet you a good day.

Minutes later, my orders were delivered at my table and I couldn't wait to eat them.

While eating, I looked at the pictures I took from when I was in New York. There were pictures when I was in the airplane. I took pictures of Alec while he was sleeping and I edited it. I put a moustache and a beauty mark.

I also took pictures of the food I ate in the plane. It was more on meat and I liked it. When we arrived, I took pictures of the sign "Welcome to New York" and I told Alec to take a picture of me in front of it while I made a joyous pose.

Next was the night where Keith took me to a faraway place where we released floating lanterns. There is also a video where we partied and sang in a circle in the bonfire. I also took a picture of the stars that night and I made it as my wallpaper.

There is also a picture of me and Keith eating pizza at my room in the hotel, but I was the only one eating pizza. We also had around thirty pictures inside his car on the way to his parent's house.

The rest of the pictures were me, together with Keith's family, and also the foods I ate back in New York. By the way, their burgers are the best.

I got a pocket, got a pocket full of sunshine. Got a love and I know that it's all mine. Oh ooh oh oh. Take me away, a secret place, a sweet escape, take me away. Oh, what a horrible ring tone I have. Since when did I change it into this?

Anyways, I answered it right away because I didn't want to hear it longer.

"Hi best friend!" I screamed. It's Emily who's calling.

"Hey! Where are you? I need to see you ASAP" she replied.

"I'm at the pizzeria near my house. Is there anything you want to eat?" I said politely.

"Just order my coffee. It'll be a quick talk" she said.

"Okay then"

After fifteen minutes, she arrived with her office clothes and gave me a huge hug. "I missed you best friend! How's your trip? Was it fun? Was it stressful? Did you meet someone hot? Tell me every detail on the way to the office" she said as fast as she could.

We went directly to the office and nobody was there except for me and Emily. "Where is everybody?" I asked as I looked around. After seconds, everyone just popped up and yelled-

"Surprise!" I was shocked and frozen for a moment. Everyone is wearing their usual office clothes but something is different.

"What's this?" I asked. Nobody answered. I figured it's a welcome back party but, I feel something fishy.

Everyone started to scream and I'm still confused. When I looked, it was Alec holding a bouquet of flowers. He walked slowly towards me with his head down. I can tell he's a bit shy.

When he gave me the flowers, of course, I said thank you. "What does this mean?" I asked in confusion. Everyone stopped screaming and there is silence. Oh no, here goes his speech.

"The very first time we've met, I envy you because you are better than me in designing. But the day I was forced to take you to New York, I got to know you a lot more and I started to like you. I tried to conceal my feelings, but I can't. You're beautiful inside and out and you have a true talent and tremendous skills in designing. I'm not asking you to love me back right away, but if you would just give me a chance to show you how much I love you, I will."

He held my hand and I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to say or what to react after what he said. Everyone is quiet, including him, waiting for my answer. I wanted to go to a private place to tell him my answer, so I dragged him into my office.

"Alec, I, I don't know how to start this. But uhm, thank you for the flowers. They are beautiful" I said softly.

"Just as beautiful as you" he said.

"Thank you. But, I want you to know that I only think of you as a friend. Nothing more and nothing less. You're a smart, handsome man with a kind heart but for now, I can only think of you as a friend.-" This hurts me to say this. I can barely breathe.

"I'm sorry if this is not the answer you were quite expecting. Maybe I'm not the one for you; someone out there is waiting for you. Someone told me that, with courage, patience, and kindness, true love will find you"

I can't believe I just rejected someone, and that someone is my boss. Am I going to lose my job? Oh dear, I hope not.

"I understand. I'll be the best friend you'll ever have, despite Emily. Thank you though. Thank you for making me believe in love again" he said.

I can see the sadness in his eyes but his smile is still present.

"I'm glad to be your friend" I hugged him and said thank you once again for the surprise. I left the office and went directly to my house to fix all of my things and relax afterwards.

After cleaning my clothes and throwing the garbage, I finally made some hot chocolate and put out a honey glaze donut to eat at my balcony.

The sun is about to set, and again, I replayed the wonderful moments I had in New York, and maybe – just maybe – this will help me to stop thinking of what happened earlier. It really did hurt my heart to reject him.