6 - Dragon Slayer in Konoha

Neji slowly opened his blank Hyuga eyes just when the sun was rising. The sky had different shades of blue, pink, orange and yellow. He looked over to the side, seeing that Naruto was still asleep and Konohamaru and Wendy were nowhere to be found.

Immediately, he sat up, his eyes darting here and there, looking for the the ninja and the dragon slayer.

"Big Brother Neji?"

The Hyuga whipped around and to his relief, Konohamaru was sitting there by the river. Looking closer, he could see that Wendy was there as well, her head at his lap as she slept there.

Neji cleared his throat and raised an eyebrow at them. "You sure are up early today, you too."

"Er... yeah. Wendy was awake before me, though," said Konohamaru.

Neji stood up and kicked Naruto awake. "Oi, Naruto. Wake up. We're leaving."

Naruto groaned and rolled over, murmuring a few insults before sitting up, rubbing his eyes.

Neji picked up his backpack and slung it on his shoulders. "Konohamaru, wake her up."

"Ehh?" Naruto was already standing up and leaning towards Konohamaru and Wendy, a teasing expression at his face. "What's this about, Konohamaru?"

Konohamaru raised an eyebrow and blushed, turning away. "I-It's not like that, Big Brother Naruto...!"

"Oooh, doesn't look like it."

"Really!"

"Hey!" Neji was already frowning at them, clearly impatient. "We're going home, so can you please hurry?"

Naruto rolled his eyes as he went to get his backpack. "So bossy..."

Konohamaru then turned to the sleeping dragon slayer on his lap. He blushed and admitted to himself that he didn't want to wake her up. He liked her that way.

But he had to, so Konohamaru reached out and gently shook Wendy's arm. "Wendy..."

Wendy slowly opened her eyes, her vision clearing at the sight of Konohamaru leaning over her. Immediately, she blushed and quickly sat back up. "Wh-What happened...?"

"It's time to go," said Konohamaru. He stood up. "How's your wound doing?"

Wendy looked down at her side and shrugged her shoulders. "It's doing alright, I guess..."

"Good." Konohamaru smiled and reached his hand out in attempt to help her get up. To his relief, she did take his hand and stood up slowly.

Konohamaru didn't want to let go if her soft, warm hand but he did to find his things. He stole a few glances at her every now and then, blushing each time.

He was already picking his backpack up when Wendy suddenly stood there beside him. She was looking at him as if she had something to say.

Konohamaru's cheeks burned but managed to stay calm. "Yes, Wendy?"

"I..." Wendy looked down and poked on her fingers together, her lips forming a small pout. "I just... want to thank you."

The ninja couldn't help but blush and feel the butterflies in his stomach. Did she seriously just thank him? It wasn't that much of a big deal, but hey. If you admired someone, it is, right?

"You've been really nice to me and everything, and..."

"I was just doing my job," Konohamaru said, busying himself with his backpack then slung it over his shoulders. "We should get going soon. Can you walk?"