Chapter 1: The Beginning

"I don't think that she will be a burden to you, do you?" President Snow said without showing any sign of emotion.

"Well, I need to get used to her of course, but eventually, she won't be a burden to me." Seneca Crane answered.

"You totally missed the point Seneca, you totally missed it." The president let out a soft groan.

"She is supposed to make your life more comfortable, not impractical. A smart and dedicated man like you should see the benefits of it..."

Seneca felt uncomfortable while he was looking down at his feet, avoiding Snow's eyes.

"As a headgamemaker, you are even allowed to choose her. I can't see the problem."

"I don't think there is a problem sir." he said while awkwardly playing with his own fingers. He could feel Snow looking at him, daring him to look back.

"If you don't appreciate it, we can choose another headgamemaker, you know. I heard Heavensbee would be perfect for the job. I cannot lie, the man is genius. Imagine what she would look like."

"I wouldn't want any other job, president. It has always felt like a huge honour to me to be working on The Games. I absolutely wouldn't want anything else..."

"Then what?"

"Then what...?" Seneca repeated.

The president rubbed his hands and looked him in the eye.

"Then what is stopping you to accept this present?"

"She... a present? I, uhm... I would love to accept this present, sir. I'm sorry if there was any miscommunication between us."

"You need to deserve your present, Seneca." said president Snow.

"You'll need to work for the best. I'm sure you already knew that, didn't you?"

Seneca Crane was moving his mouth but no words came out, his fear for this man in front of him took over.

"But of course, president. I won't disappoint you."

The man slowly raised his chin, looking at Seneca with a despicable look. A smirk appeared round the corners of his lips.

"But of course you won't." He let out a small, devilish laugh.

"You may go, Seneca."

Seneca stood up a little too quick. He let out a sigh and shook the president's hand.

"I cannot thank you enough, sir. I hope to speak with you soon, about The Games."

"We will."

The headgamemaker left the room, feeling guilty already. This hadn't been the conversation he had hoped for.