Chapter 1

Chapter 1

He didn't know why he suddenly felt queasy, as he peeked through the half-opened door that led to the next room. It was filled with people, but what troubled him most was that he didn't know whether it was because the room wasn't that spacious to begin with, or a myriad of spectators really swarmed the venue to attend the event.

"Oikawa-san," his attention was suddenly diverted to the man who appeared behind him.

"What is it, Kunimi-kun?" the brunette smiled genuinely, as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

The young man shifted his weight on one leg uncomfortably, and Oikawa could tell that he was feeling a bit uneasy talking to him.

"The publisher wanted to remind you that the launch will start a few minutes from now." Kunimi masked his discomfort with a smile.

Oikawa nodded lightly, before he waved his editor off. He chewed on his lower lip when he swung his head to the left, and observed the jam-packed room once again. It was filled with bar tables, having at least three people occupying a single one.

There were bottles of champagne on each, and some had already helped themselves for a glass.

On the leftmost side was a beautifully decorated booth. One that displayed several copies of Oikawa's craft.

His heartbeat echoed in his ears when he caught the figure of someone approaching in his peripheral. Oikawa averted his gaze from the crevice, and realized the old man was the head of the publishing house he worked with.

The man strutted the sharpest suit and tie, he has ever seen. He was casually checking his wristwatch, and he looked like he has something to say to him.

"Irihata-san," Oikawa bent his head over, as a sign of respect. The old man acknowledged his presence as well, clearing his throat before saying, "Are you alright? You look like someone who could use the restroom."

Oikawa chuckled nervously. "My knees are trembling, Irihata-san."

He looked down, knees shuddering in fear. "I'm worried they might not receive it well."

The old man laughed, tears brimming his eyes as he did so. "Don't be silly," his tone was now terse, "Your novel is amazing! It is filled with different kinds of emotions, and the characters are pretty relatable."

"Thanks for the morale boost, Irihata-san." Oikawa's lips stretched into a warm smile.

The old man moved closer. His hand fell on the brunette's shoulder, and squeezed it lightly.

"I'm pretty sure you made him proud." He smiled reassuringly.

"I hope I did." He heaved a deep sigh, the atmosphere between them suddenly became melancholic.

Tears threatened to fall from Oikawa's eyes. A lump had formed in his throat as a wave of nostalgia swooped over him. He drew in sharp breaths as he faked a smile. He knew he wouldn't want to see him sulking on a special day like this.

"It's time." He lifted his head up, and was regarded by the old man's cunning smile. Bodyguards emerged from the left side of the building, his editor Kunimi was with them as well.

The men in black opened the sturdy white doors that led to the conference room. All the indistinct chatters had died, and all the attention was diverted to them as they graced the red carpet.

Oikawa felt a little uncomfortable under the spotlight. He was feeling uneasy at the sound of cameras shuttering. Its flashes were almost blinding, but he had to keep composure and maintain his warmest smile.