Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Oikawa had been pacing hastily around the room. His mind was in shreds and his whole body shuddered while tears threatened to fall from his hazel orbs. He couldn't quite put a finger on his thoughts. He wanted to cry and let it all out, but a part of him told him he couldn't. Instead, he cupped his face in frustration.

The hospital room was as devoid of beauty as he was of hope. Its walls were simply cream, not peeling or dirty, just cream. There was no decoration at all save the limp curtain that could block the view of the whole room from outside.

It was perhaps once the kind of green that reminded people of spring-time and hope, but it was faded so much that the hue was insipid. The room was an undertone of bleach and the floor was simply grey.

At the far end were windows in brown metal frames, only openable at the top. It still had no flowers, cards or home brought food. He had the option of sleeping to pass the time or staring at nothing at all.

There were stands for intravenous drips and monitors. At the door were dispensers for rubber gloves, hand sanitizer and soap. These items only reinforce his fear of germs, they were so ubiquitous here that cleaning was mandatory every time a doorway was passed or a patient was touched.

But this was no time to put his persnickety up front, because lying unconsciously on the hospital bed was Iwaizumi. He was wearing a turquoise hospital gown and despite his current state, Oikawa still found him devilishly charming. There were several apparatuses attached to him, and the sight of them all made Oikawa want to tear down all four walls that enclosed them.

If the labored rising and falling of his chest didn't give him away, his face devoid of color would speak more than words. Helpless, Oikawa sat on a stool beside him and squeezed Iwaizumi's hand lightly. Finally letting go of what he had been holding back for the past half-hour, he kissed the back of Iwaizumi's palm and silently broke down in tears.

The doctor had already checked on him for the second time, and assured Oikawa that Iwaizumi needed nothing but rest. He understood that the raven-haired might've been pushing himself too hard lately, and it was his body's reaction to stress. The doctor also revealed that Iwaizumi had a frail respiratory system – his heart, too – but didn't make any conclusions as they were yet to go further in their diagnosis.

It was already ten minutes since Oikawa contacted Iwaizumi's mother, who was on her way to Miyagi from Tokyo. The woman was shaking the whole time but didn't sound as surprised as Oikawa thought she'd be, as if it wasn't the first time this happened.