The first day

After she's done arranging her shelf and organizing her cupboard with all her clothes. She sits on her bed wondering what to do next, and then out of nowhere, her stomach growls.

"I'm starving!" Her conscience screams.

She finally decides to go out of the room. So, she changes her clothes into a brown top with the only pair of black, very baggy jeans that she owns. This is the closest she can get to a western attire, she wraps her head scarf again as it's all messed up and freshens herself.
She looks at the mirror for her own approval and walks out of the room.

"Click" the door closes behind her, with her card left inside, forgotten.

She cautiously walks in the corridor, trying to figure out where the lift was, she turns left from around a corner.

"Oww!"

She bumps into a pile of books, but wait, there's a person behind it.
Zareena, ashamed of herself bends to pick the books that fell on the ground while her conscience shouts stupid countless times.

She picks the books and keeps it on the pile that is held by a short girl with red frizzy hair, she had freckles on her face and was wearing a black cardigan on her petite body.

Zareena, knowing that she should apologize speaks up, "I'm so sorry, I-I'm actually new here and I was looking for the-"

"Oh, it's okay, I understand, when I was new here I used to get into bigger accidents, anyway, hi I'm Lisa," she says kindly.

Zareena responds, "I'm Zareena, nice to meet you." She says while extending her hand.

Lisa gives a hurried laugh, "I'm sorry my hands are full, but Zareena nice to meet you too, and btw what were you looking for?" She asks.

"The cafeteria," Zareena replies shortly.

"Oh! I'm actually heading there too, after I'm done keeping these books in my room, so if you can just wait here, I'll be back in a min." She says while stumbling with her books.

Zareena readily speaks, "Oh that's great, Here, I'll help you with your books." She carries half of those heavy books in her hand.

They walk in a long corridor to a room numbered 72, she places the huge pile on a table, similar to Zareena's.

"You don't have a roommate?" Asks Zareena looking around the room and noticing an empty bed on the other corner.  

"Yeah, I had one, she left for Indonesia last week. That reminds me, where are you from?" Asks Lisa.

Zareena stammers, "um, I'm from Pakistan."

"Oh Pakistan." She says with a little pause, then speaks again, "I'm from France."
Zareena gives her a small smile.

"Okay, so I'm literally dying of hunger, let's go to the cafeteria then? And if you like I can show you around the campus."

Zareena, surprised with all the kindness, agrees and gives her a nod.

They walk towards the elevator and enter, the silence in there is inexplicable.

Zareena's conscience screams again, "Zareena you're so shy, you're not even able to talk to people."

The lift reaches the ground floor and Zareena quietly follows Lisa to the cafeteria.

After her selective picking from the food counter, she seats herself on a nearby table and Lisa comes with her tray too.

Lisa finally speaks after a long silence, "umm, listen I know it's hard the first day, but it's going to be alright." She says this with an encouraging smile.